7 Tips for Surviving Final Exams

7 Tips for Surviving Final Exams

Because we could all use a little help at the moment.

45
7 Tips for Surviving Final Exams
https://www.demontfortsu.com

Exams are upon us all, and, if you are anything like me, you aren't really all that prepared for them. Don't worry, though -- you can make it through; just follow these seven tips and you'll be ready for anything exams may throw at you:

Schedule, schedule, SCHEDULE.

There is a lot to keep track of during exam time, and the only really fail-safe way to keep track of it all is to make a schedule. I write down when all of my exams are in my planner, then decide on which one I need to study for/start working on (if it's a project) based on how difficult it is/how long it is going to take me to complete. You can also study based on which exam is soonest, if all of your exams are of equal difficulty, but I find that I tend to schedule the least amount of study time for exams I feel very confident in and the most amount of study time for ones that I feel less confident in. I also write down any group meetings I may have if a group project is due or if there is a group study session I want to attend. Speaking of which...

Make use of study groups & review sessions.

If your classmates form a study group or your class has a big review session before the exam, take advantage of it and join in, or, if a study group hasn't been created, start one yourself! Studying in groups is a good way to get information from others that you may not have gotten yourself, and review sessions are a good refresher on the topics you covered in the last unit or, if your final is cumulative, the key topics you covered throughout the semester.

Don't pull all-nighters.

I can't begin to tell you what an awful idea it is to pull all-nighters to study for exams. For one thing, you don't really remember that much from an all-night cram session because you've tried to cram too much in all in one go, and for another you won't be able to concentrate on the exam because you'll be too busy trying to fall asleep on top of it (been there, done that). This is where scheduling comes back into play; instead of studying for the exam the night before you take it, you schedule time to study for it in smaller chunks over a longer period of time (I give myself at least 5 days). It may mean you have to skip out on going to the movies with your friends a couple of times, but, in the long run, your grades will thank you for it.

Give yourself breaks.

As important as it is to schedule in when you need to study, it is just as important to schedule in breaks for yourself. Your mind needs rest time as it absorbs information, so taking breaks is a very beneficial thing to do, even if it doesn't seem very productive. I like to work for half an hour or so, then take a ten minute break, then repeat this until I have finished what I need to finish for the night. I also try to schedule it where I finish working an hour and a half or so before bed so that I can do my nightly routine and get some quiet time before I fall asleep. I sleep better that way, and it is much better for you to do that than to be working right up to the minute you go to bed.

Build a work playlist.

I'm the kind of person that builds a playlist for everything, and I find that having a playlist for studying really, really helps. You can do this a couple of different ways; you can build a playlist on your iPod or phone, you can build one on YouTube, or you can find a pre-made one on YouTube or Spotify if you aren't really into/don't really know how to make your own playlist. If you're like me and most of your exams are projects (I'm an art major, so... yeah), a playlist full of your favorite songs will really help to pass the time; if you are trying to study for a written exam, classical music really does help, but, hey, listen to whatever helps you get through your study session.

For the love of all that is good in this world, stay HEALTHY and take CARE of yourself.

Being sick during exams is the actual worst (been there, done that, not fun), so it is of highest importance to do your best to stay healthy during exams. During exams, I like to make herbal teas, drink lots and lots of water (okay, I do both of those things all the time anyway -- but hey, doing it during exams is super important!), and keep away from junk food as much as possible (unlike our friend Homer Simpson up there). I find that I am more energized and feel better doing those things, and when I feel better during exams, I tend to do better on them.

Another way to take care of yourself is to remember not to skip out on parts of your routine just because it is exam time. Take your makeup off at night, eat meals at regular times, go to bed at a decent hour -- you know the drill. Keeping a normal routine during exams will help ease your stress and will make you feel better throughout exam week. Trust me.

When it's all over, celebrate a little. Or a lot, because YOU MADE IT THROUGH FINALS.

My post-exam celebration is usually to pop some popcorn and put on a marathon of my favorite movies while giving myself an at-home spa treatment. It's nice to be able to relax after exams, and I like having a big rewards night for all the hard work I put in during exam week. Reward yourself in any way you like, and rejoice in the fact that you have made it through exams without dying.

Good luck on your exams, friends

You can make it. I know you can.