Seven Things You Missed About Being Home When You're In College
College

And the next countdown to being in my own home begins

76

College is great. The freedom and independence are key, but after going home for the first time since moving in August, you come to realize that you missed a lot more than you thought. In general, you more things than you thought you did. Here are seven things college students miss about home.

1. Your bed

Nothing is better than being able to sleep in your own bed. After several months of sleeping in a lofted twin bed, nothing is compete with your own bed. You can starfish and not have body parts hang over the side. You can get in and out of bed without having to use a ladder or climb down the side. When you sit up, you don't hit your head on a stucco. As a matter of fact, I am currently missing my bed right now.

2. Your shower

NO MORE SHOWER SHOES. Living in a dorm with a community bathroom isn't the greatest thing in the world, it is actually one of the worst. Nothing is better than the feeling you get after taking a shower at home. Being able to relax in the tub or take an extra long shower is a slice of heaven. No dirt, no mold, and lots of privacy.

3. Home-cooked meals

No matter how good it may be, eating dining hall food gets old after a couple of months. Going back home and having your mother cook your favorite meals for you is the best. Sitting down at the table together with your family for warm, fresh, home cooking never gets old.

4. Your favorite restaurants

No matter how good the restaurants in Tuscaloosa are, going back home and eating at your favorite spots is the best. No one makes a gyro like the ones at Athenian in St. Clair Shores, Michigan. Their authentic Greek food is amazing. The General Tso's chicken and an egg roll at China Chef in Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan is mouth watering. Just thinking about my favorite hometown restaurants is making me hungry.

5. Your BFF

Yep, that crazy BFF that knows you oh-so well. You get together, and it seems like a day hasn't passed since you hung out. There is something to be said about that one friend who just makes your heart happy. The type of friend you know you will always keep in touch with. That friend who is really like a part of your family now.

6. Your pets

YOU MISSED THEM SO MUCH! You can talk with your family to help ease missing them, but there is no way to do that with your pets. Being home, lying on the couch binge-watching your favorite shows is just better when you have your dogs snuggling with you.

7. Family

YOU MISSED THEM SO MUCH. Nothing can replace a hug and kiss from your family. You think it's not going to be tough going back to school until you have to leave the arms of your mom at the airport. This is when it sinks in that you won't get another one of those hugs for two months.

I'll be back