7 Things I Wish They Would've Told Me About Marriage

Real life marriage problems

52
Alexandria Logue

As we get older and move on to new chapters in our lives we notice that everyone is either getting engaged, married, or pregnant. We're not the little kids playing on the playground anymore. We're adults doing adult things like we wished for when we were kids. Of course, there are those who get sour when someone is having an exciting moment in their life (not pointing anyone out) but I'm happy for everyone that gets engaged or married. It's an amazing time and feeling. Knowing you found someone you want for the rest of your life no matter how annoying they are. I'm even happy for those who are pregnant and get to be mothers. It's a love you'll never forget but as always you wish someone was there to give you advice or maybe they already have. But beware because you will hear some of the most ridiculous questions ever asked. Here are seven tips I wish someone would've given to me.

1. How old are you?

I seriously don't know how many times I have been asked this question when someone sees my wedding ring or when I'm filling out paperwork. It's kind of insulting. Since when do you have to be the perfect age just to get married? It's just like when they say, "Oh wait until you are ready to have a baby or wait until the right time." In my opinion, there is no right time. You'll never fully be ready for something this big. You learn as you go. So please stop asking for our age. We are adults not "babies". I wish someone would've told me that people will not stop asking this question no matter how old you look. Just answer with a smile and move on.

2. Well now that y'all are engaged when is the wedding?

I didn't have a wedding but I see a lot of friends that are engaged right now and though some are having the time of their lives planning a wedding some just want to relax and enjoy being engaged. This is when you have to step up and kinda tell family members to chill because they want to be all over this. Not a bad thing but when you're not in a rush with your partner to hurry down the isle then it's a good idea to tell them to give you space. Plan when you're ready.

3. Embrace the in-laws.

By this time you've probably already met your in-laws and hoped to make a good impression but now you're stuck with them 'till death do you part. Not saying that as a bad thing, most people have healthy relationships with their new families others, however, don't. Nothing wrong with that unless your spouse is one to keep quiet. My advice I wish someone could've given me is your marriage is your marriage. Not anyone else's and it's also no one's business. It's okay to take advice but let them know where and when to not overstep into your marriage. Some things can't be fixed once you start telling people your business. Also, who cares if they talk crap about you. Brush it off.

4. You will stress over the little things but they are little things.

Whether you are young, old, rich, or poor there will always be these little things in life that will make us upset. But you don't need to stress. I know it's cliche to say that but when you stress over stuff that can or can't be taken care of it does put a strain on your marriage. You get frustrated and start arguing over little things. Take a step back before you get overwhelmed and just know that whatever it is will be taken care of. If not the frustration builds up and you lash out at each other. It's not worth it the fighting.

5. Build each other up, don't tear each other down.

Being young and married we tend to forget that in a marriage you can't just walk away or say it's over. You're in it for the long run. Now, of course, you're gonna argue and have those big blowouts but who doesn't? Nobody is perfect but the best advice someone should have told me is communication and forgiveness are the keys to making it work. If you're stubborn like me then forgiveness isn't easy for you but it will help. Half of the time arguments start with the wrong tone of voice so communication is a must. Next time you and your spouse talk ask them on a scale from one to ten where is your love tank? If it's low ask them what you can do to help and in return they ask you the same questions and do whatever it is to help you out.

6. Money, vacations, cars, and the whole ten yards.

You are still young and it will take time for you to be the millionaire you want to be. It doesn't matter what anyone else has as long as you take care of your responsibilities then you are a millionaire. You will see people take nice vacations and you'll wonder when you can but you will, just give it time. Same goes for cars and houses, everyone will upgrade and eventually you will too but it doesn't have to be when everyone else does. There's going to be a time where you feel broke but knowing your bills are paid and there's food on the table is the best feeling. You'll get that dream car and amazing vacation soon.

7. Babies, babies, babies.

Be prepared for this question "When are y'all going to have children?" or "When am I getting some grand babies?" Don't be afraid to tell whoever that you will have kids when you're ready not when they're ready. Whenever you do have kids don't be afraid to ask questions that don't let anyone tell you what you're doing is wrong or that you should be doing what they did. It's your child, not theirs. Or maybe you already have a baby and they're wondering when you're going to have more. Remember it's your body, not theirs. This is a decision between you and your spouse nobody else. These are things I wish someone would have told me when I got married so now I'm telling you. It's your life, marriage, and kids so do what you want not what anyone tells you to do.