7 Things That Happen When You Give A Girl A Puppy

A puppy has the power to change your life.

647
Amanda Diesburg

Last year, I made a bit of an impulse purchase and as I was driving the 4 hours back to my hometown, all that I could think was "what have I gotten myself into?" That's right, I bought the most adorable, 2.5 lb., Morkie puppy. When I arrived home that night, I was still a little nervous. This tiny puppy was now my responsibility, but I was so excited to see what this new adventure would bring. With the help of my little brother, we named this little girl Zoe and she has become such an important part of my life.

When you give a girl a puppy, a few things happen to her. She changes and she grows. A puppy has the power to help a girl through anything and to show her how to take on the world, how to be happy, and how to love. So... here are just a few things that happen when you give a girl a puppy.

1. If you give a girl a puppy, she's going to have a smile like none you've ever seen before.

A puppy, no matter how big or small, just has a way of bouncing around and smiling at you and putting a smile on your face that is really hard to let go of.

2. If you give a girl a puppy, she's going to learn so much.

She's going to learn how to take care of something other than herself. She's going to learn what it feels like to to have a being depend on her and how amazing it feels to have to take care of that being. She is going to learn how to treasure the time that she gets to spend with her little puppy.

3. If you give a girl a puppy, she's going to have a friend forever.

In college and throughout early adulthood, you spend a lot of time on your own. Not because of anything in particular except that you are beginning to do life on your own. You live alone or with a roommate and it's quieter than it has been in the past (especially for me, having lived in a house with 9 people my whole life).

4. If you give a girl a puppy, she's going to know what it feels like to love unconditionally.

A puppy, much like a child, cannot survive without you. They need to be fed and taken outside and given attention much of the time. As a result of this, they become extremely loyal. That puppy is going to love you forever and it will make her love it forever too.

5. If you give a girl a puppy, she's going want another.

That's right, you know that feeling of having someone depend on you? It's addicting. Once she knows what it feels like, she's going to want that love to surround her. And, let's face it, puppies are adorable!

6. If you give a girl a puppy, she's going to want to show it off.

She's going to want to take it everywhere with her and show people how adorable it is. She's going to want to show everyone how much she loves that little puppy. Just watch out, if the puppy starts to like you more you may no longer have a friend... just kidding... sort of.

7. But most of all. . . If you give a girl a puppy, she's never going to be the same person again.

Having a puppy has the power to change a person. Watching the puppy grow and having the love between the two of them grow is going to change her. If you give a girl a puppy, she's going to be a happier, more loyal, more loving person. She is going to be the best version of herself.

That little impulse purchase ended up being one of the best decisions I had made in a long time. Zoe has changed my life in so many ways. She is the happiest, most carefree, little girl in the world. She loves to run around and play but she also loves to cuddle up and sleep. She likes to crawl into tight spaces and to chase you around the around the house just for fun. Zoe's smile is the cutest little smile that I have ever seen and she puts a smile on my face every single time I see her. I miss her like crazy while I am at school and I cannot wait until she gets to live with me next year!