7 Behaviors You Develop When You're A Long-Time Dog Owner

Dogs, often referred to as man's best friend, are considerably more than just pets.

23
Danielle Marinis

Dogs, often referred to as man's best friend, are considerably more than simply a pet that you feed and pat on the head every now and then. My own dog is an integral part of my family, and often it seems that our lives revolve around our ten-pound mutt. Pillows are in random spots on the floor because "that's where she likes to sleep sometimes," there are small plates with leftovers in the refrigerator because "she likes steak mixed in with her dry food, so that's for her," and after almost a decade, it's hard to remember the pre-dog life. In honor of my dog's tenth birthday, here are five things that long-time dog owners think or do which might seem strange to the unfortunate souls without a canine companion.

1. You compare other dogs to your own, and yours is always number one.

It goes without saying — your dog is the best. Maybe your fido might not be as well-versed in shaking your hand with their paw, or maybe they drool to an extent that would gross anyone out, but that is your dog, and therefore they are the best. A dog seen walking across the street might be cute, but your dog is cuter. Your friend's dog might be well-trained but your dog is smarter and doesn't need that fancy training

2. Still, you have an eye for finding other dogs.

It's a talent, really. As someone with a natural radar for dogs, you can pick out a dog at any time of day, no matter where you are. From across the street to in the middle of a store, you instantly know where they are, and you are the friend that can point it out to share with others.

3. You feel guilty when you come home after petting another dog.

No matter what dog it is, be it a neighbor's, a friend's, or a stranger's dog you passed by, you can't help but feeling like you cheated. Not only did you look at another dog, but you pet it and gave it your affection when your own companion is waiting for you to return. Was it worth it? Maybe, but you still feel bad when your dog spends that extra second to sniff where another brushed against your leg.

4. Likewise, you get jealous when your dog sits next to anyone else.

Maybe it's hypocritical, that after petting strange dogs whenever you feel like it, that you feel a burn of jealousy if you dog ever decides to lie on someone else's lap, but that's your dog. Whether it's your siblings, parent, or friend, there's no denying the fact that you wish that your dog was next to you. But that's what you get for going around and petting dogs, so this is your karma and their payback. Don't worry, they still love you and your relationship with your dog will go on.

5. Your phone is filled with pictures of your dog, and most of your pictures are of your dog.

At least from personal experience, I have to dig through several folders before I find a selfie - let alone a decent one — but I can pull up a picture of my pooch within seconds. Likewise, you are likely to take each and every opportunity to show everyone a picture of your dog. If you have met someone an hour before and have yet to mention your dog and show at least three pictures, then something is wrong.

6. You start to look like your dog.

A quick search on Google will yield many photos of dog owners and their dogs, and it's hard to deny that there is something bemusing about similar looks. While it may seem like nothing more than something a dog owner would say — "My dog and I are basically twins" — there is science to back it up. In an article for Slate, a study by Sadahiko Nakajima, a Japanese psychologist supports the claim that, indeed, dog owners and their dogs share similarities due to a comparative look in the eyes that make a dog and owner appear similar.

7. You grow very attached to that bundle of fur, and can't imagine not having them.

To non-owners, it may sound dramatic — that a human being could possibly have such an emotional bond to a pet. But, truly, is it that hard to conceptualize? Dogs provide unconditional love and affection, and after having one around for years, it's hard to not become attached. Not only are they adorable, but they don't care about your GPA or if you didn't fit into that pair of super skinny jeans at the mall. Your dog will always wait at the door for you to return home, and loves you just as you love them.

Though they are called "man's best friend," dogs are best friends and family members to their owners. To my own dog, happy tenth birthday. To all of the dog owners out there, don't forget to treasure every moment you have with your dog, because they love you more than is imaginable.