7 Things Only Midwest Natives Understand

You may know the East and West Coasts like the back of your hand, but how much of an expert are you on the good old Midwest?

539
via Pixabay

It's a well-known fact that the Midwest is located in the middle-western region of the United States, and if it's not, we may have some issues. What I've learned living in New York City, though, is that not many people know much more about these poor, forgotten, middle-of-the-country states than what the name of their region clearly suggests. Besides knowing where they are on the map, here are 7 things you may never know about Midwestern states unless you've lived in one.

1. Not everyone in the Midwest owns a cow.

Hard to believe, I know, but despite the incredibly large amount of farmland that lies in the middle of the country, there are jobs available other than being a farmer- especially a dairy farmer. And yes, there are different types of farmers.

2. We will FIGHT for our barbecue.

Now, I can’t speak for all Midwesterners on this one, but as a Kansas City native, I know what great baby back ribs and brisket should taste like. Take me to a barbecue chain and I may stick to the vegetarian options, but come with me to Arthur Bryant’s and there’s no doubt I’ll order a plate full of barbecue-slathered burnt ends (or something of the sort).

3. We don't really have an "accent."

Okay, now this one surprised me. I always expected to sound “southern” to everyone when I moved to NYC, but apparently not. After some digging, I found out that the Midwestern accent is considered “General English”- a sort of mix of all and none of the other American speaking styles. It’s the accent that news broadcasters and TV personalities are trained to speak in, but my guess is that they just use it because it’s easiest.

4. Normal weather doesn't exist.

The Midwest LOVES surprising its inhabitants with all types of weather. In the center of the U.S., we get every season at their best and worse. Winters can produce buckets of snow and negative 15-degree weather, while summer days regularly pass 100 degrees with humidity out the roof. The main reason we all look forward to football season so much is that then we might actually get to go outside in average temperatures WITHOUT tornadoes.

5. Lakes are our beaches.

I know this sounds lame, but wait to fight me on it until you’ve been tubing off the back of a Jet-Ski at 40 mph with nothing to save you but your family life jacket that doesn’t quite fit anymore. Now THAT’S a true Midwestern good time. Also, why bother laying on sandy beaches when you could be laying on a comfy boat cushion in the middle of miles of blue- alright maybe more like brown- waves?

6. We know how to make our own fun.

Cities aren’t huge in the middle-of-nowhere places we call home, but we know that. Instead of exploring miles of buildings, Midwesterners spend their summer days going to their favorite lake, pool, snow cone stand, or sand volleyball court. In the fall we pick apples, jump into piles of leaves, find pumpkins, and watch football. Winter is spent making snowmen and hot chocolate or arguing over Disney Scene-It on Family Game Night. In the spring we have town-hosted festivals and fairs where we can gorge on cotton candy or maybe go catch some butterflies, so basically, the Midwest is just super cheesy.

7. Midwestern hospitality is a real thing!

I know you read about all that fun we have with our grass and our trees and our large bodies of water, but don’t worry, we’re willing to share! Honestly, though, Midwesterners love to show tourists and far away friends their lifestyle and will always be the ones to get caught holding the door at a restaurant for an hour. We also might engage in casual conversations with you at the grocery store, which I now know doesn’t work quite as well in the Big Apple, but I promise we’re trying to be nice, not crazy!

I hope you feel enlightened now in knowing these odd, somewhat-relevant facts. Maybe one of the points on the list will even inspire you to come visit at some point in your life... Or not... But, hey, the more you know the better, right?