7 Things College Students Absolutely Ain't Got Time For

Advice from a senior on killing it in college.

49
sportsvirla newsweek

Congratulations, you've made it to college.

You've survived standardized tests and the admissions process. You've navigated the pitfalls of roommate selection. You've even managed to make it through the move in process. Kudos.

At this point you're sitting on your lofted twin bed in your tiny dorm room thinking, "Great, now what?" How in the world are you supposed to survive in this brand new place, with brand new people, and food that may or may not be edible?

Worry not my young friend, I am here to help! Here are seven things you definitely ain't got time for and some tips on how to avoid them. Note: These are in no particular order.

1. Ain't Nobody Got Time for Cops

That should be obvious, but you'd be amazed at how many people have trouble with this one. So I give you "The 3 Sources Rule." This rule will apply to both parties and papers

The rule of parties is a little simpler. If you hear about a party from three independent sources, you should consider skipping it. It is likely too big, and will get busted.

For papers: if your professor does not give you a specific number of sources then you need to use at least three. These three sources must be both credible and citable in order to count toward your total.

2. Ain't Nobody Got Time for Bad Recommendation Letters

In an ideal world you would be close with all of your professors, and all of them would line up to give you a glittering review. However, this is the real world and that's probably not going to be the case. I give you "The 1 Per Semester Rule."

You should get to know at least one of your professors per semester. They should know your name, your academic interests, and your strengths.

This rule is very important because these are the people you will be able to go to for recommendation letters later on. Whether it's an internship, graduate school, or even a full-time job; you are eventually going to need a letter of recommendation.

3. Ain't Nobody Got Time for Poor Career Choices

You may not have your career picked out yet, and that's fine. The second you find one that seems interesting though, you need to find a professional to job shadow.

Full disclosure: this may be one of the most important ones on the list for me. From the time I was 13 until last semester I was convinced I wanted to study law. I took a job shadowing opportunity, and it turns out I hated everything about being a lawyer. That realization saved me from wasting my time with law school, and probably $150,000.

Do not blindly venture into a career just because it sounds cool, or someone says you would be good at it. Find out what you would actually be doing for 40 hours a week.

4. Ain't Nobody Got Time for Late Assignments

This one goes out to all of my partners in procrastination out there. You know who you are.

In order to prevent late assignments, mark your assignment calendar for one day before the actual due date. This will force you to get your work done early, and you will avoid turning in a late assignment. Which btw, very few professors will take for full credit if at all.

5. Ain't Nobody Got Time for the Same High School Crew

This is going to be especially important for those of you who are going to school close to home.

It is going to be very tempting to cling to the same people you knew in high school. After all, they are familiar faces in a pretty unfamiliar world. While having some contact with them is fine- healthy even-but you should be doing your best to make new friends.

There are an endless number of ways to meet new friends on campus. Everything from sporting events to school clubs is fair game for forming new friendships. I personally have met some of my very best friends here at college.

6. Ain't Nobody Got Time for Unpreparedness

You should do your best to always be prepared, and if you aren't singing Scar's "Be Prepared" song from "The Lion King" we can't be friends.

College students are busy. Between classes, jobs, and extracurriculars the number of opportunities you have to actually sit down for a meal tends to decrease as the semester moves on.

Save yourself (and your new friends) from your hanger induced grumpiness and carry an assortment of snacks in your backpack. Ideally, these are small foods that don't make a lot of noise or mess if you decide to open them in a crowded lecture hall.

Depending on what area of the country you live in you may also need to prepare yourself for unpredictable weather. A small travel sized umbrella or poncho should also be a permanent addition to your backpack.

7. Ain't Nobody Got Time for Unrealistic Expectations

This is another very important one, especially for those of us who were considered overachievers in high school.

College. Is. Hard.

Classes are harder. Social life is harder. Heck, even laundry is harder. Do yourself a favor and go into this experience with reasonable expectations.

As I start my final year of college it feels like I should share some of my knowledge. If you're finishing up like me, you'll know what I'm talking about. And if you're just starting out, enjoy it.

These are going to be some of the best years of your life. Enjoy them. But don't get into any more trouble then you can get yourself out of.