7 Things Billy Joel Taught Me About Life

Important wisdom from an amazing musician.

213

For as long as I can remember, I've loved Billy Joel. We share a love of New York, Italian food and swearing at times that others often find inappropriate.

But on top of those things, we share a love of the communality and connectedness that comes with a really great song or an amazing book that reminds you that nothing you feel is new. And you're never alone in feeling any way.

Billy Joel's music has never been just music for me. It has always been something that helps me through the worst days, makes me feel more confident and reinforces that life is amazing, colorful and full of things that are meant to be felt, whether they're euphoric or heartbreaking.

And song by song, concert by concert, Billy Joel has taught me so many things about myself, about the world and most importantly, about love.

1. "We might be laughing a bit too loud, aw but that never hurt no one." -- "Only The Good Die Young"

If anybody knows that you can't listen to anyone's criticisms about who you are and what you do, it's Billy Joel.

This song reminds you that you can't go through life hiding from experiences and that you can't spend your time worrying what other people will think about you. A lot of people are going to assume a lot of things about you, but you can't get caught up in what they think they know. You're the only one who knows who you really are, and you're the only one who can decide whether you're going to live life to the fullest or just sit back and watch. You have to be confident in yourself, and be whoever you are no matter what anyone says.

2. "Slow down you crazy child, take the phone off the hook and disappear for awhile. It's alright, you can afford to lose a day or two." -- "Vienna"

Everybody needs a break every once in awhile, especially in a world that tells us that if we're resting we're falling behind. "Vienna" reminds us that taking a deep breath and some time for ourselves works wonders, and that sometimes it's the only thing we can do to make things better.

"Vienna" tells us to dream big, but to stay in the moment and live life to the fullest. If you're too focused on your future, then you will miss all the great things going on in the present.

3. "When she can't be with you, tell her you wish you were there." -- "Tell Her About It"

Truth be told, Billy Joel is the ultimate ladies' man. Always has been. And this is solid advice.

This piece of advice isn't just for guys, though. And it's not as simple as it sounds. You should definitely tell the people you love that you miss them when they're not around, but even more than that, you should treasure relationships you have with people you love.

Pretty much everybody falls in love, but every love is different and every love is special. "Tell Her About It" reminds you to never take your love for granted, and let the people you love know how special they are to you.

4. "I could not love you any better, I love you just the way you are." -- "Just The Way You Are"

This song reminds us not to change for anybody, and never to make anybody change for us. If someone loves you, then they'll love you for all of your quirks and they wouldn't want to change you for the world.

5. "So I will share this room with you, and you can have this heart to break." -- "And So It Goes"

Everyone has their heart broken at one time or another, but that's no reason not to give love a chance.

Even though it's hard and it might be scary to think of putting your heart out there, you can't let the fear of being hurt keep you from a chance at experiencing love.

6. "You're not the only one who's made mistakes, but they're the only things that you can truly call your own."

Everybody makes mistakes, but dwelling on them and letting them define your life will only bring you down. Own up to your mistakes and learn from them, and make sure that when you get another opportunity, you don't make the same ones.

7. "Don't take any sh*t from anybody."

For a long time, Billy ended concerts with this line. And it doesn't need much explaining. Stand up for yourself. Don't let other people push you around. And when you believe in something, don't let anybody belittle that.

There are about a million other things that Billy Joel has taught me, but I can't fit it all in one place. He's an amazing musician, and without his music, I don't know where I'd be.

Thanks for the amazing show in Tampa on Friday, Billy. I was the girl who knew all the words and told you she loved you.