7 Thank You's For My English Teachers

7 Thank You's For My English Teachers

Thanks for putting the "lit" in literature.

21
JSTOR

Since I am an English major with teacher endorsement, I decided to write a special thank you letter for my English teachers that molded me into the woman I am today. I am so grateful for each and every one of you as you showed me that literature was lit! I love you guys!

My life, from the very start, revolved around books. My parents encouraged me to read as often and as much as I possibly could. That love of literature, however, was cemented when I reached junior high and high school. It was in the awkward years of my life that I determined what I wanted to be for the rest of my life, and I have my English teachers to thank for it.

Thank you for never saying I was thinking "too deep."

I was never the ordinary thinker in any of your classes. But that ability to think on a much deeper level than most others made me into the English major I am today. Not only has it helped my mindset, but my world view, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Thank you for presenting literature in a unique way

My whole world view was drastically altered because you presented stories in a unique way. I think that the ability to examine something for more than its surface value is something that I carry with me today.

Thank you for encouraging me to imagine.

It was in the walls of your classrooms that I found out that there were no walls on my imagination. I found immense solace in knowing that I could create something that would someday resonate with the masses. It may have just been an idea in my head, but through my imagination, you inspired me to dream.

Thank you for testing me and pushing me to my limits.

Yes, your classes would sometimes make me cry at the workload or constructive criticism. But in the end, I can look at old papers and not cringe all that much because of it. While some things in your classes may have seemed like too much at the time, it only made me a better reader and writer today.

Thank you for showing me that my passion was a talent.

Before entering an English class, I thought that writing was just something that I liked to do. When I had you all as teachers, I found that it was something that I was actually good at. I am still working on becoming a better writer, especially creatively. However, your patience encouraged me to explore a side of myself that I did not know existed.

Thank you for being the best role models a girl could ever ask for.

While some memories were ones that I wish I could forget, the memories in your classes will be ones that I will forever cherish. You made learning fun, and class a time that I looked forward to. When I tell my future students about my time in junior high and high school English classes, it will be easy to name you as my role models.

Thank you for watching me grow into the person I am today.

Whether that be in or out of the classroom, your diligence and persistence never failed. I owe so many things about myself to you and your classes. I don't know if I will ever be able to put into words the impact you have had on my life.