You're almost done, and the light at the end of the tunnel has finally begun to show itself! It's time to dig in your heels, finish strong, and get ready for graduation...and the rest of your life. As a recent English graduate, I can attest to all of these things. But because I know I'm not alone, here are 7 signs you're a graduating English major:
1. Your friends still don't get basic grammar concepts, and it drives you crazy!
You've explained basic grammar concepts like the difference between they're, their, and there a million times over your college career, and have corrected it in at least a dozen of your friends' school papers, that you've basically decided they're hopeless and will never understand.
2. You'd basically concluded that you'd take any job that has the least bit to do with your degree at this point.
Job hunting is proving to be more difficult than you thought, and you're starting to feel pretty desperate. At this rate, you'll basically take anything even loosely tied to your field.
3. You've looked up 'Graduation Caps for English Majors' at least once on Pinterest.
I mean, c'mon, who hasn't? They're creative, funny, and will obviously tell everyone at the graduation ceremony that you're a proud English major.
4. You're real tired of being asked what you're doing after graduation.
You haven't even walked across the stage yet, and you've been asked what you're doing after graduation at least 25 times. It's OK to tell them you don't know, or that you're going to bask in the fact that you just graduated. Be proud!
5. Your bookshelves have filled up with books you've been waiting to "read for fun."
You've been forced to read probably close to 100 books over your college career, and have had little to no time to actually read for fun...because of this, your bookshelves have definitely piled up with books in the 'to be read' category.
6. You've concluded that you'll probably have to go to grad school to get a decent job.
No, friend, unfortunately the torture and hard work is most likely not over yet. That's OK! Give yourself a little break and then be ready to go in September for grad school...or take a gap year!
7. You recently remembered you get to read for fun, and you can hardly contain your excitement.
Studying for finals is already hard enough, but it becomes nearly impossible once you remember you get to read for fun again in just a couple of weeks. Just realizing this because I just told you? You're welcome!
From one graduating English major to another...congratulations, and welcome to the finish line!