The 7 Best Rom-Coms For You No Matter Your Relationship Status

Prepare yourself for Valentine's Day with these classics.

59
Max Pixel

Now that we are quickly approaching Valentine's Day, I thought it would be fitting to explore my favorite genre of movies and point out some of the best rom-coms for you. Whether you're happily in a committed relationship, single and looking, or even dealing with a hurtful breakup, these are the movies for you.

1. When Harry Met Sally

Rob Reiner's classic love story that spans over a decade shows Harry and Sally from college all the way to their mid-30s. They're struggling through divorces and breakups but laughing along the way nonetheless. What makes this movie so special is the wit and originality of the script, wonderfully brought to life by Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan. If you're looking for a funny and heartwarming film, I wouldn't start anywhere else!

2. 10 Things I Hate About You

This iconic adaptation of Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew" shows Julia Styles and Heath Ledger at their finest, not to mention a surprisingly hilarious and thoughtful performance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt. For a classic story of enemies turned romantic interests, look no further!

3. While You Were Sleeping

While maybe one of Sandra Bullock's lesser-known movies, this is no less a great one! No one could imagine wackier circumstances for falling in love: while the guy's in a coma! Needless to say nothing goes quite as planned, but it'll have you laughing, blubbering, and wishing you could marry into a family like this all the way through.

4. Pretty In Pink

Who would I be if I didn't include at least one of Molly Ringwald's movies in this list? I chose "Pretty in Pink" for its great outfits, witty secondary characters (Duckie literally made the movie), and its clichéd inclusion of prom. It is predictable but lovable in a way that makes up for the terrible kissing and awkward heartthrob.

5. Pretty Woman

Though not usually a big Julia Roberts fan myself, her performance in this movie is FLAWLESS! With a mix of humor and sincerity, you can't help but fall in love with Vivian and Edward. I think one of the best parts of this movie that often goes unnoticed is that Vivian and Edward are always equals; despite her profession, he respects her, and she respects herself.

6. Bridget Jones's Diary

As a diehard "Pride and Prejudice" fan, I was ecstatic with the film adaptation of Helen Fielding's novel. You have everything you could ever want: the sexy bad boy, the successful businessman who is shy and awkward but lovable way down deep, and a protagonist whose frequent embarrassing mishaps are situations that I identify with on a spiritual level.

7. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

In a Shakespearean-style movie with multiple levels of conflict that all intertwine, this hilarious "fake" relationship turns into something more. Kate Hudson does a great job of acting out every man's worst nightmare just as Matthew McConaughey's seemingly genuine reactions are a hoot to watch.

There you have it! Enjoy these seven favorites no matter what romantic stage you're experiencing. Whether you're a perpetual singleton like Bridget Jones, a hopeless romantic like Lucy Moderatz, or stuck in the friend zone like Harry and Sally, I guarantee that these movies will be the lighthearted fixes that you need to get through it all.