The 7 Rhode Island State Beaches, Ranked

If you want an inexpensive day at the beach or to avoid the hassle of going to Newport, then look no further than these gorgeous beaches.

2563
Waterfront Properties and Country Homes, Inc.

One of the best things about living in the ocean state is the great selection of beaches in all of the coastal towns. Some of the most popular and affordable beach destinations are the beaches that are owned by the state: "Charlestown Breachway," "East Beach," "East Matunuck," "Misquamicut," "Roger W. Wheeler," "Salty Brine," and "Scarborough." During the week, it only costs six dollars to enter these beaches if you are a Rhode Island resident, making them some of the most popular beaches in the state. If you want an inexpensive day at the beach (compared to Narragansett Town Beach) or to avoid the hassle of going to Newport, then look no further than these gorgeous beaches:

7. Scarborough

Scarborough is not the best beach out there to be honest. It usually has an unpleasant smell and the water frequently has tons of seaweed in it (among other gross things from the ocean). The beach is also extremely narrow so you will probably be totally on top of other people if you go there on a nice day. The parking is also limited and the concession stand is mediocre at best. The south end of the beach also requires you to get onto the beach by going down really steep downhill paths that are absolutely ridiculous. The south end of the beach also has the most parking so you will probably end up going down one of those goat paths if you choose to visit this beach.

6. Salty Brine

Salty Brine is a pretty strange beach. It is literally the size of a postage stamp and has an equally small parking area. It is surprising that the state even bothers with this tiny beach because you literally will not get into the beach unless you get there within fifteen minutes of its opening on any given day. The beach is directly next to a restaurant named "George's." The restaurant now has its own private beach directly next to Salty Brine that used to belong to the state. Therefore, the beach is even smaller than it used to be. The state has recently dumped a lot of money into this little beach however, for some unknown reason. A new pavilion and nice concession stand were built in recent years that are actually quite decent. A small boardwalk was also updated recently next to the beach where people can watch boats come into Galilee. Watching the boats come in at the end of the day and grabbing a bite to eat at "George's" or "Champlain's" is a nice experience. However, actually spending the day at this beach is unrealistic and almost impossible to do due to its size.

5. East Beach

The majority of people do not know about this beach. It is in the small, quiet beach town of Charlestown, RI and does not get as much attention as any of the other state-owned beaches. If you are looking for a less crowded and non-touristy beach, then this is a good choice. The parking is limited and the beach is not built up like the other state beaches are though, so be prepared. Consider stopping here if you want a change of scenery and fewer crowds.

4. Charlestown Breachway

Those who have discovered this beautiful beach will probably argue that it is the best beach in the state. The views are gorgeous and it is not overcrowded at all. With that being said, the parking lot holds approximately seventy-five cars or less so even if you get there before the beach opens, you could still get turned away. This is frustrating but if you can get in, you will enjoy the gorgeous water and views that this beach has to offer!

3. Roger W. Wheeler (also known as "Sand Hill Cove")

Roger Wheeler is a very nice beach. It is a huge beach with the most parking of all the state beaches. If you want to go to the beach on a busy, ninety-degree Sunday, then you may not have any other choice besides Sand Hill Cove. You can always get in and the beach is very long and wide. However, you must be warned that Sand Hill Cove is the most popular beach among children. It is always full of kids due to the calm water and small playground right on the beach. You can avoid the craziness somewhat by sitting further away from the water and the playground though. There is an average concession stand and a fairly large restroom area as well. It is a great beach to walk on though and you can walk all the way down to Salty Brine Beach if you really want to.

2. Misquamicut

Misquamicut is big, gorgeous, and downright stunning. Located in Westerly, this beach is further away from all the other state-owned beaches. It is close to the affluent "Watch Hill" area of Westerly, near the Connecticut-Rhode Island state line. There is even a convenient bar/restaurant on the far end of the beach in addition to a concession stand. The pavilion with the restroom area and concession stand was renovated several years ago and is in great condition. There is also a lot of parking and room on the beach so you can almost always get onto the beach. If you have not been to Misquamicuit yet, put it on your bucket list this Summer!

1. East Matunuck

East Matunuck offers the best of both worlds: popular but not too overcrowded, easy to get to but also avoids some of the Narragansett beach traffic, and has adequate parking without having to walk a mile to get onto the beach. It is located right next to Narragansett in the town of South Kingstown and since it is not directly next to the other popular state beaches, it is easier to get to. The beach and water itself are both gorgeous. The beach usually has nice waves and is pretty clean. The modern pavilion with the concession stand and restroom area was renovated several years ago and offers stunning views of the whole beach. A mix of people go to this beach so you will not be overwhelmed by children and you can truly relax. You have to see East Matunuck for yourself because you will not be disappointed!