7 Reasons to Watch Steven Universe

7 Reasons to Watch Steven Universe

It's the cartoon we need right now.

28
7 Reasons to Watch Steven Universe
DailyMotion

*Warning: I will try to spoil as little as possible if you have not watched any of this show yet.. but I may give away a little bit. Proceed with caution.

If you haven't yet been introduced to the wonderful creation that is Steven Universe, listen here.

You need to watch this cartoon.

Steven Universe, a show created by the lovely Rebecca Sugar and airing on Cartoon Network, is more than just a funny show for kids. It follows the story of Steven, a boy that is half human, half of an alien race called Gems.

Interested yet? ...Okay I'll go on.

The Gems came to Earth because they're tyrannical leaders, the Diamonds, wanted to use the planet to create more Gems. The problem was that in the process of forming these new Gems, all energy is stripped from the host planet, destroying it and making it uninhabitable.

...Are you intrigued yet? ...Uuuugh fine. I'll tell you more.

A few of the Gems on this mission realized that Earth is actually a pretty wonderful place. They saw a lot of beauty in the planet, and appreciated the diverse life-forms that called it home. They couldn't allow their leader to destroy something so intriguing and wondrous. So, they banded together, called themselves The Crystal Gems, and vowed to dedicate their lives to protecting this planet.

In this time, the leader of this band of rebels actually fell in love with a human. Her and this human eventually had a child together. Unfortunately, having this child meant sacrificing her own physical form. Her gem and her powers now belong to her part-human son, Steven.

You have to be at least curious by now. But I get it, some people just aren't into the whole sci-fi, fantasy, aliens, magical powers, love, battle... what-not. So, if you still need more convincing, here are a few reasons why I believe everyoneshould watch this cartoon.

1. Body Positivity

The Gems choose their physical form. What they look like is completely up to them. If this form is ever compromised, they have the opportunity to re-design it. In fact, in one episode, one of the gems has a bit of personal struggle with her form. This Gem feels like her team doesn’t think she is strong enough to handle anything on her own; like she is not respected based on the physical form she has chosen. Throughout the episode, she is repeatedly defeated by their enemy, and forced to reform herself. Each time, she attempts to make herself “better’ in the eyes of her teammates. At one point, after being compared to another gem, she reforms in a shape mocking her friend’s. In the end, she finally realizes that her appearance doesn’t define her, and that what’s important is that she feels good about herself. She finally reforms in the way that she says is most “comfortable” and her friends praise her for it. It all shows that you can’t allow what others may or may not think about you affect how you see yourself, because at the end of the day, you are the one that has to live in your body.

2. LGBTQ Representation

There is no subtlety about it. No whispers. No hints. No implications. Two of the Crystal Gems are in a committed, recognized, romantic relationship. We see them flirt, hold each other, dance, and we even see their love challenged. Gems from their home world think that what they are is wrong. Some believe that what they create with their love and connection is an abuse of their Gem powers. These two brave women proudly tell those that judge them, that their love is stronger than anyone's hate. The Crystal Gems, and their human friends never question their relationship. They only encourage them to do and be exactly what makes them happy. -As it should be everywhere in the galaxy.

3. Diverse Characters

Everyone on this show is so unique. In the past, we have seen many animated characters across shows that all seem to be traced from the same body type. The residents of Beach City come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. The Crystal Gems are all very different as well. It is clear in flashbacks to their home world that there is a hierarchy within the types of Gems, and many are seen as less worthy, even expendable, based on their type. However, the rebel Gems know that this way of living is wrong, and show mutual respect for each other on Earth, no matter what they are made of. All the wonderful people in this show, of all their different races, nationalities, backgrounds, cultures, and lifestyles get along beautifully. This show exhibits that all people of all kinds can live in harmony and create a community.

4. Diverse casting

As well as the characters, the voices behind the story are all beautifully different. For as long as television and movies have been a part of our lives in America, the images we are presented have been very white-washed. Roles of minority characters are constantly given to white performers. Mainstream media has worked hard for years to convince us that the thin/athletic built, pretty, white person is what our country looks like. And yes, this happens when casting not only looks, but also voices. This show breaks that by presenting a cast of people that look and sound so wonderfully unique. It's a big step in the right direction.

5. Strong female characters

Speaking as a woman, it makes me so happy that little girls are able to see strong, confident, powerful women working together in this show. They struggle, they get hurt, and end up sometimes breaking, but they survive. They're actions and feelings are never played out in a way that represent the usual stereotypes of women that are bred by media. They're emotions a recognized as valid and worked through, rather than brushed a side as just some female thing. And their strength is never something used (as it unfortunately is so often in other shows, even cartoons) to make them appear as attractive or to objectify them. Also, they don't represent a mainstream media ideal of femininity, but rather display a spectrum of different types of femininity. The male characters of the show are also allowed to show their feminine sides. Likewise, they cry, and scream, and sometimes break, but they realize that this is part of their own strength as well. With all of this, this show makes it clear that feminine is never synonymous with weak.

6. The music

The soundtrack of this show is just fantastic. Not only is the background tracking great, but the characters also have some musical numbers peppered throughout the show, and they are always a treat. The songs are beautifully composed, wonderfully catch-y, and usually the lyrics (like every other part of the show) have an inspiring message. You will definitely end up humming these tunes to yourself.

7. It's really not just for kids.

This show tackles some tough stuff. These characters have dealt with heartbreak, losing loved ones, losing a sense of home, struggling with personal identity, feeling isolated, family problems, guilt, anxiety, and so much more. The writers have presented these subjects in a way that, I think, is relatable and understandable to a very broad audience. Somehow, magically, they did it in a cartoon that is also silly and very fun. I think it all works because the characters are outrageous, yet extremely human. They are wonderfully flawed and imperfect and multi-faceted. They show that it's okay to make mistakes, okay to need help, and okay to still be growing at any age (whether it be fourteen, or four thousand years old).

So what are you waiting for?? Have some laughs, gain some perspective, get a tune stuck in your head. Start watching Steven Universe.