7 Reasons Why You Should Become a Resident Assistant

Here's all the motivation you need to turn in that application

5466
Lakeeyscia Griffin

Being a Resident Assistant may seem like a tough job that isn't worth the benefits. However, becoming an RA was one of the best decisions of my life! Of course, you have to have the personality and patience to last as an RA; however, if you need a bit of encouragement to make the decision, I have plenty of benefits for you to hear.

1. You meet a lot of fun, new people

Not only do you meet other RAs, but you also meet a lot of cool residents you more than likely would have never talked to prior to your job. An RA is a leader, but they are also a friend to many. I believe this was one of the best benefits I have received from being an RA. I have a lot of friends whom I feel I will keep even when we don't live in the same building anymore.

2. You learn how to manage your time... because you have to

An RA's schedule is typically very busy. Not only are you an RA, but you are also a student with a full course load and a social life outside of the dorm! I've always used a planner because I'm the type of person who loves being organized and getting new office supplies. For those of you who may not be as organized now as I was prior to my job, I promise you will if you do decide to become an RA. All of those meetings, assignments, programs, social events, and tasks have to be written somewhere because there is no way you can remember everything in your head! Plus, you have a reason to get cute office supplies.

3. You gain experience that looks great on a resumé!

Because being an RA is such a tough job sometimes, this experience will show how great of a leader and time manager you are. This is especially good for applying to jobs that are located on campus because these people tend to know just what an RA does. The resumé reviewer will see this job experience and think highly of you immediately, or so I have been told. It shows that you are able to be trusted with some big duties and you can handle a lot more than the other applicant who does not have this experience.

4. You learn things about yourself and how to handle situations more professionally

There may be times when individuals do not like you so much or are just in a bad mood and take it out on you. Anyone who has a leadership position may be looked at as a bad guy who simply wants to get everyone in trouble. As an RA, it is a requirement to handle these situations in a professional manner. Than means you can't let your anger get to you, making you say something you should not have said. There are training courses RAs go through prior to the start of their job to learn to handle these situations. It is a great experience that can be carried on throughout your life and can be used in any relationship, whether it be friends, family, or a significant other.

5. Your housing is close to your classes... and free!

It is not a long commute to get to your classes, so while you may have to stay up late on some nights, you have the opportunity to sleep in a little bit later than usual if you live on campus. My dorm is literally two minutes away from my second on-campus job, and I love my sleep. Plus, you don't have to worry about rent because your housing is essentially "free," thanks to all of those long hours you do crafting and putting together things for your residents.

6. CRAFTING!

OK, so some RAs may not be too fond of the whole crafts thing. However, if you are the type of person who loves to do crafts but can never seem to find a reason to do them, the RA position is the job for you. RAs typically do a monthly bulletin board for their floor, and they can do anything they want! The supplies are paid for by the housing department, and you get the opportunity to make a beautiful board. RAs also have the opportunity to make door decorations and other fun crafts for their residents.

7. Having your own little community

My favorite part about being an RA is the community I have grown with my hall. You are living with these people for a whole semester or even a year, so why not build a community with them? It feels great to have residents come to you for advice because they look up to you and can relate with you. Bonding with people in your building is the greatest feeling because you know you always have someone to go to when you're in need of help or simply some company. I have an all-girls floor right now, and we have done programs such as spa nights and waffle movie nights. Those are the nights I look forward to. Even though we are all different people with different interests and majors, we still seem to bond together as a whole group. That is definitely my motivation when times get hard.

So get out there and apply to be an RA! What's stopping you? If you're someone who would like to meet more people and have some fun, this is the job for you. There's nothing to lose!