7 Reasons Losing An Almost Relationship Hurts So Badly

237
Tumblr

Any breakup in general stings in ways you never imagined possible. The thing about almost relationships though, is that you're left with all of the what ifs and what could have beens. Here are 7 reasons losing an almost relationship hurts more than you expected it to.

1. "It's not like you guys were really together"

Hearing this was hands down the worst part of never dating him. You can not believe your friends could be so disrespectful of the way you felt about him for so long, no matter what your label was or was not. The sentence, "We weren't really together" doesn't make the pain feel any less real.

2. You compare yourself to his future girlfriend.

We've all been there, scrolling through Instagram and finally seeing it - he settled down. You always hoped that the reason he didn't want to make things official was because he didn't want a relationship in general, but this just proves he just didn't want one with you. What does she have that you don't? You then spend hours on her Instagram and Facebook looking through her pictures, imagining what she might be like and why he thinks she's so much better than you. This quite honestly is the worst part of losing an almost relationship.

3. There are always going to be "what if's".

You'll never be able to know what it was like to date him, what it was like to bring him home to meet your parents or how long your relationship would have lasted. You are consumed with a ton of "what if's" because you never got to experience them.

4. No matter how much he said he did, he never liked you enough to date you.

If he really liked you he would have done anything to make you "his". He wouldn't say things like "I'm just not looking for a relationship right now" or "I don't like labels" because if he really wanted to be with you, he wouldn't risk losing you just to avoid a label. That's just his way of saying, I don't really like you or care enough about you to date you.

5. They are never an ex.

What do you call them? Oh you know, that guy I had a thing with for a while but then we stopped talking and now we don't have a thing. Sounds so simple!

6. You are filled with so much regret and constantly overthinking.

What could you have done better? If you had done this one thing differently would he have wanted to date you then? You keep thinking about all of the time you spent with him and all of the things that you could have done differently.

7. You don't get any kind of closure.

There wasn't really a reason that you both ended things. One day it was just like, "Well you know I don't really like you enough to date you so I'm just going to go now." What kind of break up is that?! It's not. You just have to face something you knew all along but never wanted to admit.