7 Pieces Of Advice I Wish I Had Been Told In High School

Not-so generic pieces of advice from a recent high school graduate

121
montanapbs

When in high school, we are all fed the same advice and hear the same generic quotes. We get this false idea of how high school should be from people we know as well as from Twitter, Facebook, movies, etc. Here is some not so generic advice I wish someone had told me in high school that would have helped me get by.

1. High school probably won't be the best four years of life, and it really shouldn't be

"High school is the best four years of your life!" is an exclamation heard way too much by students. This phrase is said even more in the south, usually by people who were cheer captains or quarterbacks of their high school football team. It's not a crime for high school to be the best four years of your life, but it's probably better if it isn't. High School isn't a very glamorous time in someone's life, especially if you're still going through your awkward years. You'll make tons of mistakes and learn so much about yourself and the world around you.

2. A lot of people have the best four years (or more) of their life in college

This makes a lot more sense because quite frankly, the people you meet in high school usually won't mean as much to you as you thought they would when you go to college. You'll spend four years with the people you go to high school with, but don't spend too much time stressing out about them and what they think about you or say about you. Seriously, none of it matters when you go to college. You'll probably start off brand new without knowing anyone and you're not gonna be thinking about those people from your high school that you thought were so necessary to please your sophomore year. Aim to have the best years of your life in college. This is the most pivotal point in your life and the time when you will have the most new experiences.

3. Don't remain friends with people who only bring you down

No one likes a Debbie Downer, but it's much worse to have one friend who brings your mood down all the time. You shouldn't be friends with someone who is only negative or makes you feel bad about your accomplishments or happiness. Surround yourself with people who will lift you up, celebrate your accomplishments, and grow with you.

4. You DO NOT have to keep the same friends all the way through high school, and you are not obligated to stay friends with the people you were friends with in middle school

If you keep the same friends through your whole high school career, that's awesome. It's something to be proud of. However, do not feel obligated to keep being friends with someone just because you have known them a long time. If someone is a bad influence on your life or just doesn't make you happy anymore, stop being friends with them. Yeah, making new friends is hard. You better get used to it though, because that's all college is about: making new friends.

5. Get a part-time job

My children WILL have a part time job in high school if at all possible. Yes, it's nice to be free to do as you please all the time when in high school, but having a part time job teaches you many lessons that you just can't learn on your own. I'm glad that my parents forced me to get a job because it not only taught me the value of money, but it also taught me many other important things. You can read more about that here.

6. Don't remain an employee at a place where you aren't treated well

Life is too short to keep working for someone or for a company that does not treat you well. There will be many, many more part time jobs that will hire you. Don't feel obligated to stick with the first job you have. I stayed at my first job for longer than I should have (I worked at Taco Bell for two years). Don't allow yourself to be miserable because of your workplace, find a new job where you will be appreciated.

7. You don't necessarily have to move far away from home to have a great college experience

I moved four hours away from my little small town for college. My roommate moved 14 hours from home to go to the same college. This is all about preference. To me, four hours away was a very long time and a complete culture shock from my small, rural town. I've struggled with a lot of homesickness, and I've realized that I did not have to move so far away just to have a great college experience. I'll get a wonderful education from this university, but if you aren't comfortable with moving far away, then don't. The emotion from moving away for college is going to hit you like a train regardless of where you go to school anyway. And if you're anxious to get out of the house and away from your parents reach, simply moving out of your house will fix that problem. You don't have to run far, far away.

Go where your heart is, make yourself happy, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks

These seven things may seem like obvious pieces of advice, but I really wish I had realized them before I graduated high school. Keep an open mind, and don't get too worried about anything. Your life is full of adventure, and high school is only four years of it. Enjoy yourself and don't stress.