7 Pet Peeves I Have With College Students

I know college is a struggle, but please stop.

17
Post Grad Problems

College is tough, that we can all agree upon. But some students tend to make the experience less enjoyable, and add to my stress level.

1. Talking In Class

I know sometimes the professor may not care, or maybe you're asking for help from another student. But please, for the love of it, I can't hear what the professor is saying. There are some lectures where you literally have to write every word down, and I don't want to start writing down what your plans are for this weekend in my notes. You'll do yourself a favor if you pay attention so you don't have to ask me what to do later.

2. Using phones in class

Now, I am guilty too sometimes, but it's only for a VERY brief moment and it's usually for work purposes. But please leave the room if you're going to answer a call or text. It's distracting to me and the professor and above all, hella rude.

3. Not trying to answer questions correctly

I totally get it if you are trying your best to answer a question from a professor. But it's the students that randomly guess, or don't even try to get the right answer. They just blurt out words! Yeah, that's going to get you far on an exam.

4. People who don't try to understand

I was once in an English class, and someone just "didn't like" the reading we were assigned because they didn't understand it. If you ask professors or other students for help instead of just throwing your hands up in the air, maybe it would change your perspective on life and other people.

5. The "I have to ask every question" student

Look. In. The. Syllabus.

6. Coming to class, and not making an effort.

"I don't get it." Okay, are you taking notes? Studying? If you come to class just to complain and don't TRY to understand the lecture, I sure hope you enjoy repaying that tuition next semester. If you are coming to class to just sit there (on your phone, see pet peeve number two), then just don't come.

7. Stop packing up while the professor is still speaking

Just don't. Please. The professor is STILL SPEAKING. If high school taught me anything, it's that there will be consequences for packing up early. It's rude, and very loud and distracting for those of us trying to get the last few notes and homework assignments. If the professor has to raise their voice so you can hear them, you should probably stop. How would you feel if you were trying to have an in depth conversation with me and I started digging through my purse and talking to someone across the room? Not very good? Okay then.