7 Of South Louisiana's Most Spine-Chilling Haunted Locations

"Death is no more than passing from one room to another." - Helen Keller

228
Chelsea Ducote / Instagram

With such a rich history and vibrant culture, South Louisiana is no stranger to paranormal activity. From haunted, historic plantations to creepy, century-old hotels to eerie cemeteries, and even college campuses, South Louisiana is home to more than a few spine-chilling destinations. Just in time for Halloween, here are seven places in South Louisiana sure to have you sleeping with the light on!

1. The Myrtles Plantation

Located in St. Francisville, LA, the Myrtles Plantation is said to be home to several other-worldly presences, but the most well-known is Chloe. Chloe, a slave girl, was caught eavesdropping, and her ear was cut off as punishment. To hide her missing ear, she wore a green turban on her head. Chloe then supposedly baked a cake containing poison. Some say she was trying to get revenge on a fellow house-maid that was getting special treatment, while others say Chloe planned to poison the family and then save them in order to get back in their good graces.

Either way, Chloe's planned backfired, and the cake killed the master's wife and two of their children. Chloe was later hanged and her body was thrown into the Mississippi River. Legend has it that Chloe can still be seen roaming the plantation grounds from time to time, wearing her green turban. Several visitors to the Myrtles have also captured what is believed to be Chloe in numerous photos. If you're brave enough, you can stay the night at the Myrtles Plantation, one of America's most haunted homes.

2. Louisiana State University's Pleasant Hall

Formerly known as Smith Hall, the building known today as Pleasant Hall served as LSU's first female dormitory. Rumor has it that sometime in the 1950s-1960s, a female resident of Smith Hall got into a really heated argument with her boyfriend. The argument was so intense, that she shot her boyfriend in the face. Thinking her boyfriend was dead, the deranged woman ran to her dorm room, room 312, and supposedly shot herself.

Legend says that this unknown woman still roams the building today, specifically the area where room 312 was formerly located. Pleasant Hall staff still experience strange occurrences, such as unexplained cold spots and doors opening and shutting on their own, mainly on the third floor. The building was later transformed into a hotel, and today serves as LSU's continuing education department.

3. Old State Capitol Building

Built in 1852, this castle-like structure served 10 years as Louisiana's State Capitol Building until it was captured by Union troops during the Civil War and was used as a hospital and holding cell for Confederate Soldiers. During that time, a fire completely destroyed the building, and it was later rebuilt in 1862.

Legend says that the building is home to several spirits, including the ghost of Pierre Couvillion, a state legislator who had a heart attack and died in the Senate Chambers. Staff have reported seeing motion detectors being activated when no one is there and unexplained footprints on the Senate floor. Some also believe the capitol is home to the spirits of Civil War soldiers. In 1932, a new State Capitol was built, and today the Old State Capitol serves as a museum.

4. LaLaurie Mansion

Located in New Orlean's French Quarter, the former home of the "Cruel Mistress of the Haunted House," Madame LaLaurie, is said to host several spirits. Madame LaLaurie, perhaps one of the cruelest slave owners in American history, was known torture her slaves by chaining them to walls in the attic, starving them, and performing painful, unnecessary operations. Many of the things Madame LaLaurie is said to have done to her slaves are too gruesome to even imagine.

Many visitors to the site report several paranormal occurrences, including hearing moaning coming from the attic where the slaves were once held, unexplained footsteps, and some have even reported that they feel a negative energy take over them when they stand near the building. The LaLaurie Mansion is now privately owned, so no tours of the inside are given. However, several ghost tours in New Orleans pass outside of the mansion.

5. Magnolia Plantation

Once serving as a cotton plantation to the LeComte family, Magnolia Plantation is located in Derry, LA. The plantation had a total of 21 different structures built on the grounds, including slave quarters, a slave hospital, and a blacksmith shop. Countless people and spirits have inhabited these buildings. Many believe that the hauntings are due to the many years of voodoo curses that were placed on the plantation's owners. One of the rooms in the main house was named the "Dying Room," because it is rumored that when someone wanted to die, they would go to this room.

Paranormal activity has been reported throughout the plantation, including strange, misshapen apparitions crawling on all fours around the kitchen, unexplained chanting in the former slave quarters, and disembodied voices in many of the buildings. The plantation is now a historical landmark and is free to the public to tour.

6. St. Louis Cemetery No. 1

Said to be the oldest cemetery in New Orleans, St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 has been around for almost 300 years and it serves as the final resting place for thousands, including well-known Voodoo Queen, Marie Laveau. A well-known tradition when visiting Marie Laveau's tomb is to mark the tomb with three X's in order to ask the Voodoo Queen to grant a wish. Legend says that if she grants your wish, you are required to return to her gravesite with a gift. For nearly 200 years visitors to the cemetery have reported paranormal encounters with the Voodoo Queen.

Several people say they have become unexplainably ill, scratched, and even pushed to the ground. Many see Marie Laveau wandering the cemetery wearing her infamous red and white turban, and some even hear what is supposedly her voice coming from the tomb. In order to preserve its history, visitors are also no longer allowed to enter St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 unless they are on a licensed tour.

7. Manchac Swamp

Located just north of Laplace, LA, Manchac Swamp is said to be home to the spirit of a former voodoo priestess, Julia Brown. Julia was known for predicting the destruction of nearby towns and was often called The Oracle, because she always knew when something bad was going to happen. One of her most noteworthy predictions was shortly before her death. Witnesses saw Julia chanting, "One day I'm gonna die, and I'm gonna take all of you with me." This prediction came true in 1915 when a massive hurricane ripped through the town as Julia's body was being lowered into the ground. Three villages were completely destroyed and hundreds of people died.

To this day, locals report bodies washing up along the banks of the swamp. Others claim that the sounds of a screaming woman can often be heard throughout the swamp, and some say that on occasion, you can hear Julia singing. You can take a tour of the swamp — if you're brave enough.