7 Non-Academic Things You Learn At An Arts High School

Public school couldn't teach you this.

33
Madison Pallante

I went to an arts high school, and that's great. Art schools are amazing for learning things that have to do with your art (obviously...) but it also teaches you more non-academic things than public schools do.

1. I learned how to treat people well.

Going to an art school really helped me learn how to treat others. If you went to a school like mine, we had 6 different disciplines (visual art, theatre, dance, music, creative writing, and film). I learned how to treat people with respect even though they had different views on things than I did. We all shared a passion for some kind of art, but it doesn't mean we all loved each other. Even though some people didn't get along well, we still all treated each other with respect

2. I learned how to appreciate how different people are.

One of the best things about art schools is the diversity. People of all races, religions, family backgrounds, etc. filled the halls. I loved seeing how one person was the total opposite of the person standing next to them. This also was great for creative purposes. Someone from a completely different background as me could bring something to the table that I would have NEVER thought of, and that is beautiful.

3. I learned how to collaborate and listen to other's ideas and opinions.

At my school, every year we would write a show. We would all sit in a room and come up with ideas for this show. It taught us how to listen to other people and let go of our own ideas. It also taught me to appreciate other people's ideas and not be so stuck on my own ideas.

4. I learned that not everyone will love me, and that's okay.

This was probably the hardest thing to learn, but definitely one of the best things. You aren't going to please everyone, and that's okay. You learn that not everyone is going to love your ideas. You learn that not everyone will love what you have to offer. You learn that that's life. Not everyone is going to love you...and that's good.

5. I learned that the creative process SUCKS sometimes.

I mean this in the best way...but trying to collaborate with other people is probably one of the hardest things to do. As I mentioned previously, you have to learn to let your ideas go, you have to learn to accept other people's ideas, and that is hard. I also learned that trying to come up with ideas is super hard. You work really hard to come up with an idea that you love, and then you have to be strong enough to let that go.

6. I learned that people can be passionate about things they love.

Every day, I would watch people's eyes light up as they talked about what they were working on or something they are going to start. It truly is a beautiful thing when people get so passionate that they get that look in their eyes of pure joy.

7. I learned that being different is GOOD.

When I was still in public school, I felt like I had to be like everyone else to fit in. I thought I needed to wear the nicest clothes, or have my hair a certain way. At my art school, everyone was different. People wore whatever they wanted, they did whatever they wanted with their hair (there was some awesome hair colors and styles happening there). I learned that I shouldn't have to conform into what the standards were and that I could be different...and be me.

I wouldn't trade my education at my school for anything. Of course I learned so many wonderful and amazing things that dealt with my art, but I think the things I learned that had nothing to do with my art is what's truly valuable.