7 Things I Should Have Never Said Never To

Some things you have to let go of, some things you learn the hard way, and some things were just really dumb in the first place. Bottom line, never say never.

172
Psychologies

I’m a pretty stubborn person, plain and simple. There are so many things I’ve been hell-bent about, promising anyone who’d listen to, at no time, would I EVER do this or that. I hate being wrong almost as much as I hate going back on my word and, as so, I spent a lot of time confined to my own little set of stipulations, restricted by the fact that I refused to do anything that I didn’t want to do.

Low and behold, however, I began to grow up and realize that the things I was so adamant about did not actually matter, in fact, they were pretty stupid. Today, I find myself living my life and doing things I thought I would NEVER do and, yet, I’m enjoying every minute of it.

Let’s be clear, I’m not talking about my morals or my work ethic or how I was raised; those aspects are as much parts of me as my legs and arms. I’m talking about little things that, sometimes, you just have to let go of. Life doesn’t have to be so hard and you don’t have to be so tightly wound.

Below are seven things that I realized in college, seven things that were too much to hold on to, and, honestly, seven things I should have never said never about. (Oh, the irony.)

1. I was never going to fail at anything.

And queue the third week of college. Relationships, assignments, back-handsprings. . . you name it, I failed at it before Thanksgiving Break of freshman year. No regrets.

2. I was never going to step foot in a frat house.

Not everything is like the movies- it’s just another club but with this one, you can listen to rap and drink cheap beer. Some of those "frat boys" I had misconceptions are now my best friends, and I wouldn’t change a thing.

3. I was never going to like pop music.

Bubblegum and hair twirls? No thanks. My inner scene kid would DIE. Then some friends introduced to me Demi Lovato and Lady Gaga, and I sorta kinda maybe fell in love with girl power... oops.

4. I was never going to have a “type.”

I don’t know if I’ve ever been so wrong. I was always the type of person to "expect the unexpected," but now, I see that that just isn't true.

5. I was never going to change my major.

And queue the fifth week of college. You grow and change every day, and the things you wanted as a 17-year-old high school kid are NOT the same as the person trying to create the happiest life possible for themselves.

6. I was never going to get my debit card declined.

The real world is expensive, like oh my 'lanta. I’ve always had a job and paid for my own gas and what not, but soap? Pricey. Kleenex? Way pricey. Advil? I have to choose between that and dinner sometimes.

7. I was never going to back down.

Sometimes I’m wrong and have to shut my mouth; sometimes I have to be the bigger person and walk away from a situation. Life is about taking the high road even if it’s the one less traveled. I was ALWAYS the one to have the last word, to fight, to argue, but now, life is much more relaxing to say the least.