7 Natural Ways To Uplift Your Spirits, Even When You're Struggling To Find The Will To Live

Responsibilities are hard, but these simple and wholesome tricks can do wonders.

311
realisticallyrawyou.com

I'm currently feeling like I'm drowning in responsibilities and obligations lately. Between finals week and having to train six days in a row for a new position during finals week, I'm struggling to keep my body and mind healthy. While I'm feeling extremely blessed to be ending this semester on a strong note, it's hard to revel in my glory when I'm barely sleeping, eating, or keeping my wits about me. Moral of the story: If I can somehow manage to keep on swimming through this week despite feeling like I have half a brain cell, you can make it through anything. I wanted to share some of my favorite tips and tricks for keeping it together during a rough patch. These suggestions might not magically solve all your problems, but they're my go-to's for “getting through it."

1. Uplifting essential oils are my best friend.

I have an essential oil diffuser that is my life saver. I don't know what it is, but something about having my room smell like a fresh lemon tree mixed with a peppermint stick really helps me feel rejuvenated, even when my soul is hurting. Peppermint oil is one of my personal favorites, because it improves mental clarity, relaxes the muscles, relieves headaches, boosts energy, and more. There are also blends that you can buy that are a concoction of essential oils that work together to uplift your spirits. “Mental Clarity" by Nature's Truth is one I really like to use when I'm studying, and it includes a blend of Basil Oil, Bergamot Oil, Lemon Oil, Rosemary Oil, Peppermint Oil, Geranium Oil, Cardamom Oil, Ylang Ylang Oil, Jasmine Oil, and Chamomile Oil.

2. I always like to keep crystals on me, either around my neck or in my pocket.

Whether you believe in the metaphysical properties of crystals or not, I'm absolutely in love with their natural beauty and the meanings behind them. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I love knowing that I have a little something with me that's supposed to have positive benefits and improve my mood. Amethyst is a great one for anxiety, stress relief, and warding off bad vibes. I always wear a crystal cage around my neck (looks kind of like one of those protein shaker things) that lets me interchange all the crystals I collect depending on my mood.

3. Tea is as soothing as it is delicious.

Tea is like comfort in a cup to me. Even when I'm stressed, tired, pissed off, you name it, I feel instantly 100 times better as soon as hot tea enters my system. My favorite brand is Yogi Tea because there's such a wide variety of flavors that all have specific benefits. One that I really love is called "Sweet Tangerine Positive Energy." It's a floral and citrusy blend of a bunch of different herbs and essential oils that all work together to improve your mood. It also has a little bit of caffeine, but not enough to get you feeling antsy and jittery. Best of all, every tea bag includes a spiritual quote.

4. Even though it's tempting to eat quick and easy fast food when you're pressed for time, try your best to eat clean.

There is nothing worse than feeling groggy and disgusting after eating a fast food burger and fries when you need to be feeling and thinking your best. I've noticed that eating a lot of fruit and veggies and lighter foods actually fills me up more and for a longer period of time. My motto is that if something you eat puts you in a food coma and makes you want to crawl in your bed and pass out, then that's not the kind of food you need to be consuming. Food is supposed to energize you, not drain you and make you want to hibernate for the winter.

5. Meditating is always beneficial, even if it's just for ten minutes.

Learning how to meditate and make a habit out of it can be challenging in today's world, especially when we're so used to constantly consuming information and being distracted. I got into mediating when I started feeling like I really needed to find a way to turn my brain off and re-center, which is easier said than done. In one of my previous articles, I mentioned looking up guided meditations on YouTube. Some of them are only ten or twenty minutes long. If you have time to breathe, you have time to meditate. I guarantee that if you allow yourself to let go and turn off your busy thoughts for a moment, you will come out of your trance with a new and more clear-headed perspective on life.

6. 5-HTP and St. John's Wort are vitamins specifically meant to naturally boost serotonin and reduce stress.

They are relatively cheap and available at pretty much any convenience store. I always find it surprising when people have never heard of 5-HTP or St. John's Wort, because they are so useful and good for you when you're feeling drained and need a boost. But be careful, because taking them on an empty stomach has had me running out of my classroom to puke my brains out. Sorry - TMI. Take the combination with a healthy meal and watch the magic happen.

7. Think about all of the other times you felt super overwhelmed and like you'd never dig yourself out of your sad hole of despair, yet you made it.

Look at you! You did it! You woke up today and are tackling all of your responsibilities like a boss, and you're doing it like you did the last time, and the time before that, even when you didn't think you could. If you really think about it, you'll realize that you've already overcome and accomplished so much, and you did it with nothing but sheer willpower and the strength to persevere. And you'll do it again!