7 Marilyn Monroe Life & Love Lessons

7 Marilyn Monroe Life & Love Lessons

She was more than just a pretty face.

123
7 Marilyn Monroe Life & Love Lessons

These Marilyn Monroe quotes capture the true value of life and love. Marilyn was a strong, influential woman of her time, and is still making an impact 50-plus years later.

“Keep smiling, because life is a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.” – Marilyn Monroe

Even Ms. Monroe faced difficulties in her life, but there isn’t one moment she isn’t smiling at the camera or in pictures. Life is a gift to all, so accept the things you cannot change and accept life for how it is. During Marilyn’s era, males dominated the world, and even though she was taken advantage of, there are still other things in life to smile about. For you girls out there experiencing heartbreak, don’t let them take away your smile, because smiling is contagious, and someone might be in need of your infectious smile.

“Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together.” – Marilyn Monroe

In life, things happen for a reason, and you must take it for what it is worth and run with it. Marilyn experienced a lot of disappointment and heartbreak, but in the end she always accepted her fate. It takes a strong human to let go of the past and what once was. We can’t linger on what could have been or what has been. Rather, live for the here and now, because something better is always out there. It is our responsibility to find it and take opportunities as they present themselves.

“A career is wonderful, but you can’t curl up with it on a cold night.” – Marilyn Monroe

This applies to all genders in this society. Our culture is becoming very wrapped up in individualistic lifestyles, where careers come first, leaving our love-lives secondary. Seeking a career is not something frowned upon, but solely living life just for the money is slightly egotistical. Living a life on your own, with the only thing next to you your career, can become very lonely. We all need that someone to lean on, or simply to share memories with. Money can’t buy you those things. It’s great to stay motivated to establish yourself, but what is life if you can’t share it with someone?

“I live to succeed, not to please you or anyone else.” – Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn strived for the men in show business to take her more seriously, rather than the nation's sex symbol. All of her quotes attempt to shed light on the person she was, and to remind the world that she was more than just a pretty face. She was first discovered after doing a magazine shoot, and, well -- the rest is history. She came from the ground up, and while having barely any support from loved ones or family, she knew what she wanted out of life. Marilyn has a star on the Walk of Fame because she never wondered what others thought of her nor tried to please everyone; rather, her goal in life was to succeed. Given her track record of over a dozen movies, it is apparent she was driven for success.

“It’s better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone.” – Marilyn Monroe

Take it from someone who was divorced three times. She never stuck around a relationship if she wasn’t happy with where it was going. This is for all those people out there that seek relationships because they prefer not to be alone. Notice how Marilyn says it’s better to be unhappy alone. You are only hurting yourself if you avoid how you really feel and mask it with trying to be with someone else. If you are unhappy alone, you are more available to dig into your deeper feelings without trying to care for someone else on top of your unhappiness. You can find your inner feelings best when you evaluate your life on your own terms.

“All I want is to be loved, for myself and for my talent.” – Marilyn Monroe

At the end of the day, Marilyn just wanted to be appreciated for who she was, and not merely a celebrity, or the world's sex symbol. This statement holds true to all of us. We don’t want to be taken for granted, or used. Rather, we want people to love us for our true talents and inner personality. It’s sad to think that Marilyn may have lived and died without ever finding someone who truly loved her for her. In this life it is becoming hard to say who is really saying they love you for the person you truly are, but if you ever find someone that is completely invested in what you have to offer, don’t take it for granted. If you find true lovem take it for all its worth, because some people go through this life without ever knowing what true love really is.

“I’m good, but not an angel. I do sin, but I’m not the devil.” – Marilyn Monroe

This quote sums up, and brings to light, Marilyn Monroe perfectly. This was likely to portray her mischievous reputation, but showing she is not a complete bad girl. This can sum up more than half of everyone’s lives. We don’t aim to be complete angels, or to be complete devils. We all have our good and bad sides, but to a point where they complement each other. No one in this life is perfect, and that is what Marilyn is trying to get at here. Embrace your imperfections, and let them shine. The ones that really love you will love you for your purities and impurities. Do not live a life of trying to perfect everything, because you will ultimately be disappointed. Live a life of love, inspiration, and imperfections – if you do, you will experience life in its entirety.

Now, being seven quotes wiser about love and life, don’t forget that “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring,” another word from the wise Marilyn Monroe.