7 Types Of Restaurant Customers Every Server Knows

Through an exclusive look from a server's experience

3539
Google

1. The Critiques

These restaurant goers dine out, a lot. They know good customer service when they see it. While they seem mean and seem to not ever be content with their dining experience, they are actually looking out for your best interest. They want you to succeed as a server and restaurant, that's why they aren't afraid to show it when they see that the server isn't going out of their way to assist their needs. I would know because I'm that restaurant customer.

2. The Complainers

Or I also like to call them The Comparers. These customers just love to whine and whine. They compare you to the restaurant's competitors and how much better they are compared to the restaurant you work for. The conversations are somewhere along the lines of, "You guys don't have Coke, the other restaurant has this and that. They serve unlimited bread and even cut it in half for us" They want to change the menu and suggest adding this and that. We are a seafood restaurant, adding a burger doesn't really make sense.

3. The Regulars

These people love everything and have been coming to the restaurant for a while. They are the biggest supporters. They know you by name, you know where they prefer to sit, who they come with, what they order; in fact, they don't even need menus anymore! You got their order down to the T. They talk to you and love the food and customer service. They also tip more than 20%. In other words, I love you.

4. The Loungers

These are the customers that seem to have all the time in the world and don’t have anywhere else to go. They are experts at making you wait. They take forever to look over the menu… Take forever to order and ask the server about everything, unable to make a decision. They eat really slow and after they are done eating, they sit there with their bill already on the table for another 30 minutes, during rush hour when everyone is waiting to be seated. I mean, we don’t need the table or anything.

5. The Parents

More specifically, the parents with children who let said children roam around the place like the restaurant is a playground. They scream, fight with their siblings, spill their food and drink everywhere and almost always run into servers carrying trays of food (which by the way is so dangerous!). Sometimes, the parents aren't even unaware of what their kids are doing. It's like they expect everyone else to just work around them. Sorry, but our job is to serve, not babysit.

6.The Entitled

Kind of similar to the Complainers, but worse. While the Complainers complain about having Pepsi instead of Coke, the entitled ones are demanding and intimidating. You don't know how to make them happy. They spilled water? They aren't apologizing, you better get to cleaning. They demand so much and expect so much of you, yet... they are most likely not going to even tip. No matter what, you simply can't please them.Ahhh, i love my job.

7. The Haters

These people hate everything about the restaurant. This includes but is not limited to: the lighting, the food, the location, parking area, the music choice, the menu, the loudness, the wait, the server... a.k.a you. Sometimes they even hate the person or people they came with. It's like come on, you dined out to have a good time and wind down away from home, at least be in a good mood. You want to know the funny part? These are also the people who keep on coming back.