7 Things That Happen During Welcome Week

You know, that embarrassing moment at Pride and Spirit?
592

Welcome Week at the University of Minnesota has come and gone. A somewhat new tradition that makes transitioning to a large campus exciting and much easier. I learned my way around campus while making friends and learning important bits and pieces about the campus. Along the way, I made connections with staff members and upperclassmen leaders and even got to pet a few puppies.

1. GroupMe Central

I have been added to three GroupMe group chats within two days. My CA floor chat, my Carlson Crew, and my Welcome Week Group. They're mostly used for random questions and important reminders, but you can always hear the sigh spread throughout the room when someone says, "Okay, now I am going to pass my phone around so you guys can add your numbers to the GroupMe."

2. Free, Free, Free STUFF!

It is insane how many t-shirts I have received this week at no cost to me. I think the total is up to five! You also get tons of free food coupons, random accessories, chapsticks, cups, and water bottles. The list really goes on and on. (For the most free stuff, attend Rec Well and Explore U Activities Fair).

3. Remembering People's Names

If you are anything like me, I cannot remember someone's name for more than five seconds after they tell me. This was the absolute death of me at Welcome Week. I cannot even explain how hard it is for me to keep up with all the new groups, people on my floor and random people I have met over the past weekend. Luckily, everyone is pretty chill with the fact that no one will remember each other's names.

4. Minnesota Suburbs

As an out-of-state person, I have limited knowledge on the many suburbs of the Twin Cities area. I have learned quite a few in the past week, but you kinda just assume if someone says only the city, it means they are from about a half hour away and have half of their school here with them at the U. It is probably entertaining to see my confused face when someone responds with, "Chanhassen" and I have to just assume it's a city in Minnesota.

5. The Embarrassing Moment at Pride and Spirit

This happened to many people, especially the out-of-state people. Finding out not only that our very pride is based on Ski-U-Mah, but it is pronounced sky, not ski. HOW AWKWARD?! How did we not know? How much of a disgrace are we? Sorry University of Minnesota, we now understand our cheers.

P.S. If anyone wants to Venmo me money for new tennis shoes that would be super. Just kidding. Well, maybe.....