7 Proven Methods You Can Be Doing To Battle Your Everyday Stress

When was the last time you felt your mind at complete peace? Never? Me too.

197
The Blue Diamond Gallery

Have you ever had one of those, days, weeks, or even months when it seems as though you just can't win? When every little thing that happens to you feels like it could be the last straw before you lose your marbles completely? Of course, you have, you're human! The undeniable truth that comes along with growing up is that everyone is going through something.That's a pretty bold statement considering how many people there are, and how many different situations and issues there are to be had. It's practically unfathomable. With a world full of people absorbed with their own problems, sometimes it can be difficult to find your own peace. Take it from a typical college basket-case. With finals and the holidays coming up, this is an exceptionally stressful time of year. Here are seven of my favorite ways to find a little bit of relief despite your everyday stressors!

1. Just breathe

This may sound silly and a bit cliché, but you would be amazed how much relief you can find with just taking a step back from your situation, taking a deep breath, and reflecting on the problem presented. It's easy to get worked up over something when you've been dwelling on it for a while, so take a moment, close your eyes, and focus on nothing but your breathing until you feel like your body has relaxed enough for you to gain a firm grasp on your feelings.

2. Pop in your favorite movie

This is my go-to quick fix for a little peace of mind. Sometimes it's nice to unplug and focus your energy and attention on something other than your stressors. Whether you love nostalgic Disney movies or terrifying horror flics, it can be extremely comforting being able to forget about your own problems for a little while and focus on someone else's fictional issues.

3. Call your mom (dad, grandma, sister, friend, whoever)

I'm terribly lucky because I have a complete list of numbers I call whenever I feel like my head is going to explode and I know I can rely on them to talk me down from any heightened state of panic I'm in. Sometimes it can be enough to simply share your issues and worries with someone else. Actually verbalizing your issues out loud might help you gain a little perspective on the situation.

4. Clean, clean, clean!

It's easy to have a cluttered mind when you're living in a cluttered space! Do a little bit of tidying up. Maybe reorganize your sock drawer, or vacuum your room (listening to the sound of my vacuum picking up little bits of dirt and crumbs off the floor is so soothing). Perhaps even rearrange your living space! You'll be surprised what a little bit of redecorating and fine-tuning can do for your conscience! Plus, your roommates will probably be so grateful! If you surround yourself with a clean, tranquil, and healthy environment, you might just think a little clearer! Clean room = clean headspace!

5. Get your body moving

This one is particularly difficult for me, simply because I'm not a big fan of working out. However, you don't have to go to the gym and bust out a hardcore lifting session. It can be as simple as taking your dog for a walk or doing some yoga stretches and poses to relieve tension! If you're busy occupying your body, your mind just might have enough time to take a breather!

6. Scream!!!

This one is a personal favorite of mine. It's best to do it if you're home alone, or if you live in a crowded area, do it in your car! Sometimes I'll go sit in my car and just scream my head off until my face turns purple and my voice gives out. I scream and I cry until I just can't anymore. From an outsiders standpoint, I'm sure it looks like I'm just throwing a tantrum, and maybe that's exactly what it is. All I know is that nothing makes me feel better than screaming until my lungs can't take it anymore. Afterwards, I'm so worn out from screaming, I don't have enough energy to worry about other stuff. You should definitely try it sometime.

7. Meditate/Pray

You don't have to be religious to be able to sit and focus all of your thoughts and energy into one center presence. Sometimes these can be the most self-constructing moments, when you're vulnerable and allow yourself to feel and process all of your emotions peacefully. Whether you're praying to your higher power or just taking a few minutes to really reconnect with yourself, you're sure to feel more at ease after a little self-reflection.