7 Benefits Of Living Near The Woods

7 Benefits Of Living Near The Woods

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

3380
7 Benefits Of Living Near The Woods
Science for All

Growing up in a town called Oak Forest, my neighborhood was located right by, you guessed it - forest. Even my backyard borders the woods, a small portion of the 69,000+ acres that make up the Cook County Forest Preserve. Since I was raised right in the middle of it, I was able to reap the benefits that came along with living amongst Mother Nature. Here are a few of them.

1. You learn about different types of wildlife.

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Okay, maybe not in the Midwest. But there is still a variety of species to see, such as white-tailed deer, copperhead snakes, and alligator snapping turtles, to name a few.

2. There are cool historical sites.

One right by me is quite popular. Bachelor's Grove Cemetery is considered to be one of the most haunted sites in the country. Although the county no longer maintains the property, it still has quite a few visitors; some enjoy the historical aspect, while others hope to have an encounter with the paranormal.

3. It's a great place for exercise.

There are several upsides to exercising in nature: the spectacular view, the fresh air, and, for all you runners, the pain you spare your joints by running on a trail instead of concrete.

4. You see your share of deer.

Where I live, white-tailed deer are quite common. It's not unusual for me to see two or three walking through my backyard (although when I saw two of them standing on my front lawn looking at me through our living room window, that was rather frightening). However, don't expect to get so close to them - deer are actually very skittish.

5. You can see the stars at night.

Although I do enjoy living in the city, one of the nice things about coming home is being able to see the beauty that the night sky holds. Without the pollution of the city lights, the stars shine with a luminosity that is unparalleled.

6. You can discover new places to walk, hike, canoe, etc.

Since the Cook County Forest Preserve encompasses several towns, there are a number of trail systems waiting to be explored. There are a few ponds and rivers as well. Going to Saganashkee for an afternoon of canoeing? Sounds like a good time to me.

7. It makes you conscientious towards the environment.

Growing up amongst flora and fauna alike, I can't imagine treating the environment with anything short of the respect it deserves. Whether you grew up in a forest preserve or not, caring for the environment should be a cause close to everyone's heart - since, you know, this is the only planet we've got. But it's certainly a good motivator.