6 Ways To Treat Yourself On A College Budget

Because you're worth it.

406

Tom Haverford and Donna Meagle, everyone's favorite dynamic duo on "Parks and Recreation," may have turned it into a way of life (and one of the show's most iconic one-liners), but we all know it's not that easy to treat yo self once you're in college. With exams, club meetings, part-time jobs or internships, interviews, and assignments galore, it can often be difficult to find the time to breathe, let alone do something nice for yourself. But fear no more! Here are some simple, inexpensive ways to destress and be a little selfish...you've earned it.

1. Buy one "splurge item" each week.

As Temple students, we're all pretty familiar with the university-wide motto: Diamond Dollars are love, Diamond Dollars are life. Yes, they're super convenient and are accepted at many local restaurants and stores, but that doesn't mean you should rely on them 24/7. Pick a random day, make it a special occasion, and use cash to buy something awesome! It doesn't have to be super pricey; it could be an outfit or an album you've been eyeing for a while, or even something as simple a Starbucks latte. Don't try to talk yourself out of it, either!! Give yourself a gift, just because.

2. Go on solo dates.

Yes, this is actually a thing. Social activity is the center of our world, so much so that sometimes we're terrified of being alone. But if you take a day to get off campus and explore Philadelphia by yourself, you'll discover so many fascinating alleyways, small businesses, historic buildings, and parts of nature that you might have never paid attention to if you had been with a group of people. Developing your own feel for the city environment and the neighborhoods within it is one of the bet parts of going to school here, so take advantage of it!

3. Have a night in.
[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F10%2F02%2F635794240380215184-1525927787_giphy.gif&ho=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com&s=775&h=e0913e4e9e3e931b854eb99d4903f75a6dc84fcab3db03399bacf7eef2bc8a8d&size=980x&c=2007962299 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2015%252F10%252F02%252F635794240380215184-1525927787_giphy.gif%26ho%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com%26s%3D775%26h%3De0913e4e9e3e931b854eb99d4903f75a6dc84fcab3db03399bacf7eef2bc8a8d%26size%3D980x%26c%3D2007962299%22%7D" expand=1]

After a crazy week of running around campus and slaving over homework, sometimes you just don't have the energy to go out on the weekends. A cheap and easy way to have fun is to give yourself a break and spend the night relaxing! Light a candle, put on some sweatpants and do whatever makes you feel the most content and at ease; it could be surfing the Internet, practicing yoga, baking, or sinking into a good book while you lie in bed. If you're up to it, invite some friends over for a low-key chill session...just don't forget the snacks!

4. Try something new!

One great (and free) way to treat yourself is to switch up part of your college routine! Whether it's taking a different route to class or making an interesting recipe for dinner, take a step out of your comfort zone every once in a while. It shakes up your everyday life and keeps you feeling refreshed.

5. Binge watch Netflix.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F10%2F02%2F635794246771772864-1229746466_TV-Gif-2.gif&ho=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com&s=619&h=4ca4e287c9ac8d45e7c51ffd11686e6a3fcfcbdfb19cc060ef8b7baa08c1bd3f&size=980x&c=4251378659 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2015%252F10%252F02%252F635794246771772864-1229746466_TV-Gif-2.gif%26ho%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com%26s%3D619%26h%3D4ca4e287c9ac8d45e7c51ffd11686e6a3fcfcbdfb19cc060ef8b7baa08c1bd3f%26size%3D980x%26c%3D4251378659%22%7D" expand=1]

Does this need any explanation?! There's nothing better than sitting in bed and allowing yourself to get sucked into the world of "One Tree Hill," "American Horror Story," "Orange is the New Black," or whatever your poison of choice may be. There's also nothing worse than the wave of guilt that washes over you whenever the "Are you still watching?" screen pops up a few hours into your Netflix marathon...but it's totally worth it. This suggestion is reserved for after you finish all your schoolwork, of course!

6. Surround yourself with good company.

This is the key to treating yourself on a daily basis. Once you find a solid group of friends who accept you, love you, and are there to laugh and cry with you, make sure you never let them go. Okay, so you might not be as cool as the gang from "Friends" and no matter how hard you look, you can't seem to find a trendy cafe like Central Perk to claim as your daily hangout spot, but that doesn't matter. The happiness you feel when you're with them is one of life's most treasured gifts! Taylor Swift speaks the truth: "the best people in life are free."