6 Ways To Make Valentine's Fun Without A Significant Other

It's that dreaded time of year again; the holiday that must not be named.

15
Wellesley Free Library

It's that dreaded time of year again; the holiday that must not be named. There's no coincidence that Valentine's Day and Voldemort start with the same letter.

If you're like me, then you'll agree that Valentine's Day is by far one of the most pointless holidays. And that's not just because I'm usually (always) single. Mostly, I think it's silly that there's a dedicated day to spoil your significant other. I think everyday should be full of love and celebration, but who am I to take away from other's happiness. So, if you're single like me this Valentine season, here are six ways to make Single Awareness Day, the best day ever.

1. Have a Galentine's DayDinner with your BFFs

Take a page out of Leslie Knope's book and get together with your favorite gals. There's no better way to celebrate Valentine's Day then with some amazing women. Female friendships are incredibly important - especially during this tumultuous time - and take time and effort. So grab your closest girlfriends, make reservations at a nice restaurant and enjoy the evening. Nobody said Valentine's Day could only be celebrated by couples. It's a day about love and loving others and I think Galentine's Day is a much better alternative. And as the great Leslie Knope says: “Hoes before bros. Uteruses before duderuses…Ovaries before brovaries.”

2. Buy yourself flowers and chocolates

Since Valentine's is the day of love, it's only fitting to love yourself too. Nowhere in the rule book of life does it say you have to celebrate Valentine's with someone else. So if you're flying solo this year and your friends are booked, treat yourself. Buy some beautiful flowers and delicious chocolates and take yourself out for a night on the town. Sometimes when life gets busy, we forget to take care of ourselves and stop taking care of our needs. Valentine's Day is the perfect day to enjoy your own company before someone else takes your attention.

3. Spread love by giving love

If you find yourself single this Valentine season, spread some love by giving it back to the community. Go to your local soup kitchen or homeless shelter and spend the day with some people that could really use the love. I can't think of a better way to celebrate the day of love then loving the people in this world and giving someone else a little slice of happy pie. The collective universe could really use that love and there's no better day to start!

4. Crash date night

Nobody really likes being the third wheel, but how much fun would it be to crash your best friend's date night with her beau. Or tag along with mom and dad to the movie. If we have to be single during the love fest that is Valentine's Day, why not make it a memorable day for all? If it wasn't Valentine's Day, it would be like any other Tuesday so let's not make it special. To my mom and step-dad: count me in for dinner!

5. Go see "Fifty Shades Darker"

This seems like the most obvious thing to do if you're a single gal this Valentine's Day because why deprive ourselves of a shirtless Jamie Dornan. More importantly, as a women and feminist, I'm here to support my fellow ladies. Anastasia Steele, I'm here for you girl! Grab your best friend, some yummy snacks and pretend Valentine's Day doesn't exist; that's what I'll be doing. I can't think of a better way to celebrate my single-ness!

6. Netflix and Chill...by yourself

Going out into the world on Couple's day can be really hard and sometimes, annoying. Sorry to all my paired friends, I love you, but let me live will you! If the real world is just too much for you, that's totally ok, Netflix is here to save the day. They've added a bunch of great new shows and movies and there's nothing wrong with curling up in your PJs and binge watching Gossip Girl. Valentine's Day ain't always easy.

Whether you're enjoying Valentine's with a new partner, celebrating with an old love or spending the day alone, what really matters is that your happy. Make the most of your Valentine's Day however you see fit. Celebrate the people in your life that mean the most to you with some hearts and flowers.

Happy Valentine's Day from your resident pessimist!