6 Ways To Level-Up Your Resume

6 Ways To Level-Up Your Resume

3. Include your digital competencies.

92
6 Ways To Level-Up Your Resume
blogdotpetersonsdotcom

When we're in college, we're exposed to all sorts of opportunities. On-campus jobs, networking events, internships, co-op positions, you name it. These opportunities allow us to grow as students and get ahead in this competitive employment market. One aspect of making sure you make the best impression you can when reaching out to potential employers is your best friend:

Your resume.

In the world of job applications, your resume is just about the first, and perhaps, the only thing your employer will see before making a decision on whether or not to contact you. Of course, there's no one perfect resume format for every single job. Rather, there are things you may want to include to make your resume stand out from the rest.

1. Use up that white-space.

If you've tried writing a resume, you may have realized that it's really hard to fit all of your necessary information into one single page. Play around with your formatting and make sure that you move information around so that white-spaces in your resume are filled so that you maximize space. Try using a two-column format in some sections and single-column format in others. If your contact info can fit onto one line, do that instead of using a new line per method of contact.

2. Add a dab of color.

As someone who has handled the resumes of my fellow peers for work and school, I can't tell you just how much black and white resumes can blend together. The age of visual neutrality is over. Don't be afraid to add a touch of color to make your resume stand out. Perhaps use the color primary color of the company you're applying for or the theme color of your university. Make sure that you don't go overboard though, because employers may still prefer that your resumes are more neutral and visually inoffensive. A good rule-of-thumb is to stick to using color for just your name and heading.

3. Include your digital competencies.

It seems like every single job nowadays uses some sort of software or another to complete daily tasks. At the very least, you may find yourself using basic programs like Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Word. Let your employer know if you have experience with certain software, otherwise, employers will assume they will have to train you. This would definitely count against you in the scheme of being offered an interview. Be clear, specific, and only mention relevant skills.

4. Leave your references out.

I will assume that by now, you've at least had a couple of responsibilities that have added work credibility to your name. Another way to prove our worth besides work experience are our job references. Sometimes we have that go-to ex-boss who will always have something good to say about you. You're tempted to tack their name onto the tail end of your resume. Don't do it. Not only does this compete for valuable space, but lots of employers don't even require for references. Unless you're specifically asked specifically ahead of time for it, you should only offer to provide references at the very end of your resume or cover letter.

5. Stick to three or four relevant work experiences.

Some of you are extraordinary in the way that you've gathered quite a good amount of work experience over the past years. All of these jobs you've had have value in one way or another, but may not be entirely relevant to the job you're applying for. This is where you should pick the three or four most relevant experiences to represent you. It's also worth saying that if you don't have as many job experiences, you can also extrapolate relevant skills to put on your resume for just about any position. Just stay creative! This will help you control the length of your resumes.

6. Keep your resumes up-to-date.

You learn something new every day. It's important that your resume represents the most current form of yourself, so make sure to make a list of skills that are valuable in the field you will be applying for, and make sure to keep adding to it. Nothing's more gratifying than adding new experiences to a resume. You should really take in that warm feeling you get and embrace the accomplishments.

To conclude, it's an ambiguous world out there. You don't always know what you need to do to be successful. I hope these tips will help you improve when representing yourself for a job application. In the end, all we can do is try our best, either succeed or fail, and learn from our mistakes. Do what you think is right and don't be afraid to go out there and prove your worth, one way or another.