6 Ways To Combat Overthinking

6 Ways To Combat Overthinking

We all need ways to deal with overthinking.

5
6 Ways To Combat Overthinking
Brittany Charles

The hardest thing that I can think about dealing with when it comes to my anxiety disorder is the fact that I am always overthinking about something. Even when I am busy with volunteer work or writing a paper for school, something has to rear itself up inside my head. I've heard all the advice from people about how to prevent this, but I find that some of these just do not work for me.

For instance, a piece of advice that I have been told to use is meditation, but for me I cannot completely clear my mind enough to do so effectively and end up more frustrated than I was before even attempting to meditate. As much as I know that I struggle to find ways to occupy my own mind, I know that can also be a difficult thing for others to do as well. So, why not write a list of ways that work for me to help others?

1. Make a List

I find that normally when I am overthinking about something there are usually multiple layers to the problem. That is why I make a list of what is rearing inside of my head down. By writing these things down and seeing them on a piece if paper, it helps to really grasp what things that I actually have control over and things that I don't – that way I can chip away at things that are bothering me. The items that you write down that you have control over, you can then prioritize and find solutions to without the other things in your head.

2. Exercise

Raise your hand if you are also a couch potato. I had always heard that exercise was a way to help with your anxiety, but I never actually believed it until I tried it out late last year. Just running on a treadmill for an hour did me wonders. By exercising you are essentially tiring out your body, that way you can go to sleep easier and be healthier in the long run. This can essentially make you tired enough to go to bed without being able to overthink.

3. Doodling

Everywhere that you go now, you see adult coloring books, they might not appeal to you at the moment, but they could be a good investment for you. By doodling or simply filling in a design, you are giving your mind and your hands something to do that is productive and keeps your mind busy.

4. Journaling

In the course of everyone's life, it's safe to say that we all attempt to journal, although most people do not succeed. Even though most people don't journal, it's something that you might want to pick up if you have issues with overthinking. If you can write out what is bothering you, issues that you are having with family, or just something fun that happened in your life, you are able to express yourself in a healthy and effective way (that does not stress you out). Even if you journal a few times a week, it is better than no journaling at all.

5. Meditation

Although meditating has never worked for me, it can work for the next person. It can be a great way to clear your mind and also reconnect with yourself on a spiritual level.

6. Sleep

The age old fix for everything will always be sleep. Even though it will not fix what you are overthinking about, it does give you an out where your mind can completely shut off and you can regroup for another time.

...

These are only a couple of ways to overcome your overthinking and not every way will necessarily work for one person. That is why you should always try out new ways even if you do not think that they will work, since it cannot work to simply try. Also if you have any additional ways that were not included in this list, leave your ways that you deal with overthinking in the comments, so others can learn from them too!