6 Ways To Be Prepared For An Internship Fair

Make the effort to be the best candidate you can be.

9
ABA For Law Students

Everyone gets to that point in college where the word "internship" follows you around like there's no tomorrow. A great way to get yourself out there in the world of internships is attending an internship fair, here are some ways that you can prepare yourself to be the best possible candidate:

1. Dress Professional

Nothing screams "unprofessional" more than showing up to an internship fair not wearing the proper attire. As cliché as it sounds, the phrase "dress to impress" is your best friend so take that into account when choosing your outfit for the day.

2. Bring Several Copies of Your Resumé and Cover Letter

Having multiple copies of your resume and cover letter with you may come in handy. If you meet multiple representatives of companies that you are interested in interning for, so there won't be a problem in experiencing a shortage of these documents when you need them the most.

3. Make Business Cards And Exchange Them

Creating your own business card is so easy these days so investing in creating a "mini resumé" so to speak may show potential internship hirers that you're a great, professional candidate. This is completely optional but can really make you stand out amongst the crowd since not many college students have business cards.

4. Do Your Homework

No, this doesn't mean your class homework. "Do your homework" simply means research who you are planning on meeting with so that you're not going to the fair completely blind. Also, make sure that you know what the internship you are interested in entails of so you're not wasting your time or anyone else's.

5. Connect With Your Interviewer

If you get a chance to be interviewed, make an effort to connect with your interviewer in order to make a lasting impression. Everyone likes to talk about themselves and their interests, so try digging deeper and try your hardest to get to get to know them as well.

6. Send A Thank You Card/Email

Make it a priority to send a thank you letter to an interviewer to show that you appreciated them taking the time to talk to you. This is a key step in being noticed as a possible candidate because is shows that you care and took the time to send a thank you card.