6 Tips to Keep Your Long-Distance Relationship Alive

For the times apart.

8
unsplash.com

Most college students are in a long-distance relationship. It’s bound to happen when you go to a university that people come from all around the world to attend. Anyone in a long-distance relationship knows that sometimes, it can be the ultimate struggle. Sometimes you get stuck in a rut of talking about your days every day and you start feeling like you two are more friends than an actual couple. Trust me, I get it. For the last two summers my boyfriend and I have had to find ways to keep the romance alive during the months apart. He goes home to Philly and I go home to Chicago and with both of us working full time, it can be hard to find time for each other. Here are a couple of things we’ve done to make sure the other knows we still care:

1. Letters

You text your friends and you text your mom — there really isn’t anything special about it. When both partners are exceedingly busy (my boyfriend gets up for work at 7 a.m and doesn’t get home until 8 p.m), texting can seem like the most convenient mode of communication. Not very romantic, though. So why not surprise your significant other with a letter in the mail? You can make it romantic — his response letter was a horrible attempt at writing haikus — or just keep it silly and light. Either way, the extra effort will not go unnoticed!

2. Surprise Gifts

During the two weeks of summer, it is always an adjustment back at home. At first you feel like a guest, but unlike spring break, you’re going to be home for a while, so you have to get used to it. To keep myself in his thoughts, I sent my boyfriend a pound of his favorite candy in the mail. A couple weeks later, I was surprised to find a mermaid blanket. Gifts like these let the other person know you’ve been listening.

3. Planning Future Dates

This one is kind of fun if you’re willing to challenge yourself. We try, and miserably fail, to go on a date every weekend. That requires a hell of a lot of date ideas. So try compiling a list of dates — free, inexpensive, and fancy. You can even schedule them out if you want to go the extra mile! It’ll help make you more excited for the upcoming year together.

4. 2-4 Hour Skype Dates

Four hour Skype dates may sound a little excessive, but trust me, it’s completely possible with the right person. We’ve never dressed up for the dates, but I know that’s something some people might be interested in. We prefer to get in our pjs and no topic is off limits.

5. Cooking Lessons

Whenever one of us is cooking dinner for our families, we SnapChat each other the process, including more detailed snaps if the other has never made the dish before. This is my favorite thing to do over Thanksgiving or big holiday weekends. He won’t cook for me in person, but it’s fun to see the kitchen disasters.

6. Try Each Other’s Favorites

My boyfriend and I love to read, but usually don’t have the same interests when it comes to books. Last summer we sent each other our favorite books. Mine were well received, obviously, but his was a little… dull. I still haven’t finished the book a year later, but don’t let him know that.