6 Tips To (Actually) Help Writer's Block

Sometimes, having writer’s block can be an ego-crusher. It can make even the best of writers feel incapable of doing what they love.

6
Sweet Setup

Writer’s block. It happens to every writer, no matter if the writer is a fiction writer, poet or even a journalist. It can be frustrating to have the words on the tip of your tongue or the message in your heart but not necessarily in your mind.

Sometimes, having writer’s block can be an ego-crusher. It can make even the best of writers feel incapable of doing what they love. It can make a writer second guess whether that very expensive degree was a waste.

The in-between of the beginning stages of writers block and the finished project is incredible. So for all my fellow writers, here are a few tips that I have found to be actually useful.

1. Listen to artists you have never heard before.

This one is even for those who don’t typically get distracted by music. I, however, can easily forget about what I am supposed to be writing about because I am singing to Ariana Grande or imagining what it would be like on stage with Twenty One Pilots.

When I started playing playlists on streaming apps by artists I didn’t know, it helped me stay focused because I wasn’t trying to sing every lyric correctly since I didn’t even know who the artist was. It helps provide a nice quiet enough space in my head to think about the words on the page.

2. Eliminate distractions.

I know. I know you are thinking “duh.” But this is one of my most common reasons for not actually letting my brain breathe long enough to focus. Those background windows you have open on your computer will slowly find their way to the front unless you close them down all together. Watching the new episode (or old episode) of one of your favorite shows will surely make that brain power slow. And that one family member that swears they don’t know you are busy trying to crank out your work is problematic.

3. Don’t procrastinate.

I’m not perfect in anyway but I am thankful I have learned that procrastinating only makes for sloppy work and stress. Deadlines, people. It is hard enough to write when we actually have time but writing up against a deadline will not end well. Don’t have a deadline? Set one for yourself and see how accomplished you will feel when you make it. I have heard people say to just get up and go for a walk and come back later. That could maybe work if the walk doesn’t take you all day and you actually come back to it. Be honest with yourself.

4. Don't wait for inspiration.

A lot of us think we will be divinely inspired and will know just what to write when the moment presents itself. But then minutes pass, and hours and before you know it, it has been weeks since you wrote something meaningful to you. Inspiration can certainly help make the OK pieces turn into great pieces. But relying solely on inspiration is only an excuses that will lead to disappointment.

5. Just write.

I may have stolen a certain brand’s slang but seriously: just do it. Stop thinking about the structure of the sentence or the fancy words you want to use. Word vomit on to your page and clean it up after you have written everything you can. You will be surprised to see how much you can write when you set your mind free and give your fingers permission to write like crazy. Sure, it won’t be ready to submit just yet but you will be a hell of a lot closer than you were before.

6. Don’t be so hard on yourself.

Sometimes, we have such a strong feeling to want to write something but then feel an emptiness when it just doesn’t come out. Just because the words are not flowing out onto the page does not mean you are a terrible writer or that you don’t have it in you. This isn’t the old days when they had to rely on a typewriter. We actually have a magical backspace button that can help us shape our piece into what it is meant to be.