6 Things Women Still Have To Deal With In 2016

We're over it. Maybe 2017 will be better?

38
pexels.com

These are some of the unwanted, annoying things that women across the board are experiencing on the daily in 2016. Come on, enough already!

1. Cat calls

This does not make women feel flattered in any way. It is creepy and unwanted attention. Cat calling is a man's way of objectifying and commodifying a woman's body.

2. Slut shaming

There are women who slut shame other women and then it just makes it all the more okay for men to do it. It is 2016 and as far as I'm concerned, women should be able to do whatever they want with whomever they want without feeling guilty. We need women to raise each other up rather than bring them down, especially now.

3. Absurd dress code rules

This one might be one of the worst ones... everyone needs to calm down about dress codes. Yes, there is a point where it becomes inappropriate but it's not as if girls are trying to wear bikinis to work and school. We all know what the human body looks like and if a man, or should I say, boy, cannot concentrate on something because a woman is showing her shoulders then maybe he's the one who needs to be sent home.

4. Not being taken seriously

So many women don't get taken seriously in the workplace or at school simply because they are women! And it's not only men who don't take women seriously but there are other women perhaps in positions of authority who don't take other women seriously either. There are so many brilliant women everywhere (Beyonce, Michelle Obama, Ellen Degeneres, etc.) that it still shocks me when I talk to someone and they don't take me seriously.

5. Getting hit on when it's clearly unwanted

There is a time and a place to ask someone out. Ladies, you know what I mean. You're in the zone and the last person you would want to ask you out, asks you out. Not only are you trying to focus on something else, but when you say you can't, they still won't leave you alone. The assertiveness is appreciated until it just becomes too much. No means no.

6. Social media bullsh*t

We rely very heavily on social media and while they have become fantastic platforms for self-expression, it has also become a place for nasty comments and negative judgments. Many women feel pressured to have a certain image on social media and no matter what, there will always be those people that will like something you post but then go talk sh*t on it... for what? Who cares?

Being a girl is hard... harder than it should be. The clothing I wear, my body, and my sex should not be a factor of worry in regards to school, work, or any aspect of daily life. Strong women are everywhere, including me, and we won't stand for it anymore.