6 Things We All Need To Start and Quit Doing

New Year, New Resolutions, New You
3

We are well into the new year now, and everyone has goals for bettering themselves in 2017. These resolutions rarely ever stick past February. I think this year its time to give new years resolutions a reality check. Do we really need to reinvent ourselves like the saying “new year, new me?” I don't think we need to focus on changing ourselves. Instead, if we focus on making ourselves happier with these resolutions, the changes will follow.

Start drinking more water

We all want to be healthier, that goal is not going anywhere. Its overwhelming to think about having to try a diet or motivate yourself to workout. That pressure makes the goal not worth it, so i say to start small by really trying to drink more water. Its simple and its so realistic, so start drinking water today.

Quit comparing yourself to others

How many years in a row has your resolution been to “get fit?” I too have always felt the need to renew my gym membership, but a workout routine never sticks past February. Thats not a resolution that is helpful at all, its doing the opposite of helping and its just adding pressure and stress to your life. If your going to make a change (which I encourage, you got this), do it for yourself and no one else.

Start a journal

You wont understand how awesome writing in a journal is until you actually start doing it. You can get your feelings on paper which literally takes the anxious or stressed thoughts out of your head. You don't have to fill up 3 pages a day, you can start of very easily and just write down a gratitude log of the things you are grateful for. If thats not a great way to start off the new year i don't know what is.

Quit worrying about the future

I am guilty of this and need to take my own advice for this point in particular. Any college student has stayed up late stressing about career paths and graduating. It has the potential to eat away at you, but I don't see the point in planning and stressing for no reason. Im a firm believer that the universe laughs at us when we make plans. Just keep telling yourself that nothing is set in stone, because things change all the time.

Start expanding your knowledge

We live in a time where people cant be bothered to communicate or interact in any other way besides through phones and social media apps. We dig ourselves into a deeper hole every time we look at my phone instead of the people we’re eating dinner with. Put the phone down and be present. Go to a museum with friends to see art, travel to a new city and learn its history, watch the news. The possibilities are endless.

Quit procrastinating

Did you have a resolution in mind? Good, then go and start today. Don't wait for next week or for the universe to give you the perfect opportunity. Getting started is the hardest part, but procrastination only leads to stress. Instead of coming up with excuses just push yourself and soon the habit will fall into place. Good luck!