6 Things To Remember For The First Week Of School

Or you might not make it out alive.

53

In case you live under a rock and haven't heard, it's back to school time. All across the country, there are hordes of young adults packing up their cars with everything they could ever need and heading off to start a new year at their college or university. For some students, this is their first time ever living away from home, and it can be really scary and exciting. If you are one of those many students, here are 6 things to remember before stepping into your first class:

1. Bring a pencil. And paper. You might just want to take notes on your fancy new computer, but some professors—especially the ones who teach smaller seminars—don't allow you to use computers. Don't be that kid who has to ask to borrow a pencil on the first day. It's just embarrassing.
  2. Make sure you know where your classes are before your first day. You don't want to spend your precious moments between classes trying to figure out how you are going to get all the way across campus to your Intro to Econ class. The night before, make an action plan for your between class transitions, and your first day will go a whole lot smoother. Don't be confused like Jack.
  3. Invest in a planner or a notebook to write down your assignments in. This will help you so you don't awkwardly forget to do part of the reading and have to BS your way through a seminar discussion on Marx's greatest works.
  4. Make sure you do any reading that was assigned for the first day. If you don't you'll end up having a moment like Elle Woods in Legally Blonde and potentially getting kicked out of class. In addition to that, remember to bring any materials that are specifically required for your class (e.g. a calculator for math classes or a lab notebook for science classes).
  5. Be prepared to correct your professors/teachers on your name pronunciation. I have this problem every year, and somehow I always forget it's going to happen until the professor announces that they are going to take role. If they don't get it right the first time you correct them, then go up to the professor at the end of class and introduce yourself to make sure they know your name. This is especially important if you are in a smaller class, because you will probably get called on a lot, and you don't want everyone thinking that your name is something it is not.
  6. Be friendly to the people in your class. If you don't know anyone in the class, sit down next to someone who seems interesting and try to strike up a conversation. The person you befriend might come in handy one day if you get sick and need the notes or if you need a study buddy for finals. Maybe you'll even become really great friends!

Some people dread the beginning of a new school year, while others embrace the opportunity to learn and be challenged. Most students just love being able to see their friends all of the time. However you view the back to school time of year, remember these tips so you can start your school year without a hitch.