6 Things That Happened When I Stopped Listening To Secular Music

It made a bigger impact than ever expected.

4087
iStock

There has been an on-going debate between Christians of whether listening to Secular Music or not is "okay." I have heard both sides to the argument, but had never come to a final decision.

For the season of Lent 2017, I decided to listen to strictly Christian music, and I saw some changes in my life.

1. I Was Happier

Because the majority of secular songs either talk about sex, parties or relationships, I found those songs so extremely shallow that I would begin to listen to the exact opposite: songs that discussed the struggles of anxiety and depression. That is a lot to burden on yourself when you're a college student. I had my own problems to worry about, yet I was constantly burdening myself with the artist's problems as well. It was distracting and emotionally exhausting. Christian music is the opposite. It builds you up, and asks for God's strength in a time of chaos and stress.

2. I Was Less Anxious

The Christian songs that I listened to talked about Jesus' faithfulness, promises for my future, and love for me. Having those reminders in your mind throughout the day really makes a difference. I wasn't stressed for my future, and I wasn't on edge. There was a peace in my spirit that hadn't been there for a long time.

3. I Slept Better

Because I wasn't as anxious, I had long, high quality sleep whenever I went to bed. I was even able to take naps!

4. I Drew Closer to God

Listening to Christian Music invites the Holy Spirit into the room. I was constantly praising Him, expressing my struggles, and asking God for strength. The beautiful thing about asking Jesus for strength is that He gives it to you. I was constantly amazed by how good God was, how faithful He was to me, and how much strength I had through Him to accomplish the many tasks required of a college student.

5. I Was More Confident in my Calling

Continuously talking to God is not hard for me, as I have a lot to say. What Courses should I take? How should I respond to this situation? My most repeated question, however, was "What is my future?" I would ask this every day. When I was in class, when I was eating, when I was listening to worship music, when I was worshiping in church. Any time I was praying, this question would come up. I would ask and ask, and you know what? I never got an answer. Well, I never got a direct, "Katie when you graduate you will do this" answer. But I did get a reminder. A reminder of how faithful God has been in the past, a reminder of my passion for music, and a reminder of why I am in college. It gave me confidence, focus, clarity, and joy.

6. I Was More Focused

Because I was more confident in my calling, I began to see a purpose for my pain. College is a whirlwind of different challenges and struggles. With a clear focus, I was no longer defeated with every challenge, but was encouraged to "press on," even if I felt as if my world was falling apart around me.

I was a better me.

Now, Lent has a tendency to fall during the most stressful times of the semester, so I can't honestly say that I was the "better Katie" for the entire time of the fast. I had my moments where I seriously doubted my calling, where I was anxious about everything, and where I took a step away from God.

But I always went back. I always returned to God, my heart open and raw, asking for strength through my pain.

I feel that the decision to listen to strictly Christian Music is a very personal one, and should not be forced upon you. You have to make that choice for yourself. These examples are changes that happened as a result of spending more time with God through the music that I listened to, and I hope they help you come to a decision. I know that I personally want a real, life-changing relationship with God, so there is no room for secular music. I just don't have the time for distraction.

As Romans 12:2 says, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

Secular Music is of the World.

I can't keep it in my life if I want to walk closely with God.