6 Things Not To Do At Any Halloween Attraction

Please, don't be THAT person.

28

'Tis the season for all things spoopi. This means Halloween attractions galore. I have the pleasure of working at SCarowinds, a Halloween attraction in Charlotte, North Carolina. The amusement park Carowinds transforms and brings all the things you fear to SCarowinds. It is a one of a kind experience for anybody who is out to get their pants scared off. However, there are some who are there to ruin the Halloween fun for everybody. In order to make any Halloween attraction you go to an enjoyable event for all involved, here are some things you should NOT do when attending any kind of Halloween event this spoopi season.

1. DON'T TOUCH THE MONSTERS. THE MONSTERS WILL NOT TOUCH YOU.

I mean seriously. The recording in the queue line says it about a billion times. And trust me, us actors here it a thousand times in training - even if we've done this job before. We won't touch you. We'll get really close, but our back-up game is strong. We understand people who might lash out when they're scared. And if you know you're that person, please just don't come to something where you know you run the risk of hitting one of us. It hurts, and even though it means we did our job well and scared you so bad that you felt the need to defend yourself, it still ruins the experience for anybody else who may be in the room at the same time as you because we immediately have to drop character and leave the room. But if you come into the maze or zone and you start messing with or hitting monsters just because you feel like being a special little rebel, DON'T. Seriously. Chances are you're going to get kicked out of wherever you are, and at SCarowinds that's a stupid way to waste $60. We don't take kindly to people who try to ruin the experience for others, especially because we work hard to provide the best scare for people who are there to genuinely enjoy the Haunt.

2. Don't turn on your flashlight in the mazes.

The mazes are dark for a reason. You turning on your flashlight or the flash on your camera to take a video you shouldn't be taking in the first place just ruins the fun. It's not scary if you can see everything coming and it's hard for us actors to scare well when we can't see where you are. It makes us dangerous for us to move so chances are we're just going to stand there to avoid running into you. Also our beloved blackouts will tell you to put it away and if you don't you're probably going to be kicked out for taking prohibited videos. So just don't do it, okay? Just enjoy the maze.

3. Don't bring drinks into the mazes.

Yes, we have awesome food (albeit it severely overpriced, but so worth it). And yes, we know that you don't want to waste your drink. So do us all a favor and finish any food or beverage before you come into a maze. Walking through an outdoor scare zone is completely different than walking through a confined maze. Outside, carry all the food that your heart desires. But if you flinch or jump in a maze, us actors can't really move far to avoid the splash effect from all your snackage. Plus you'll be turned away at the door if our blackout sees you carrying it. We don't want to tell you to throw away a fresh Coca-Cola. That kills us on the inside just as much as it does you. If you need to eat, enjoy a break from the scares and sit somewhere to eat and drink. Once you're done and feel like you won't throw up if you get scared, go enjoy some more mazes and scare zones.

4. Don't try to scare us. It doesn't work.

Most of us are pretty accustomed to scares, especially since it's what we do for a career. Chances are you screaming at us while we're trying to scare another guest is just going to irritate us and make us ignore you. And again, it ruins the experience for others who are in the room who are genuinely trying to enjoy the maze.

5. DON'T BRING YOUR KIDS!!!

There's a reason that most Halloween attractions are rated PG-13. Our scares are hardcore, and we work hard to make them that way. We are not a kid friendly thing. There are plenty of Halloween events that you can take your kids to where there are games and candy and things that are appropriate for children. None of us actors would bring our kids to our place of work and we hate it when we see parents that are dragging their children through the mazes or the zones while they're screaming and begging for the scares to stop. Now, we all have the sense to not even approach when we see a child freaking out, but sometimes even the sight of something unfamiliar will trigger a child who is already frightened. Personally, whenever a child comes to my room, I smile and wave. If I see a child screaming and a parent LITERALLY dragging them, I'll pull them to the side and calm them down before letting them continue through the maze. No child should have to suffer for their parent's enjoyment. If you want to enjoy a Haunt, get a babysitter. Please. If you can't find a babysitter, maybe plan for a different date or a different attraction all together.

6. Don't ask us about our job, our costume, our makeup, or anything else.

We're not going to break character in the middle of the night to have a conversation with you. We have a job to do. You wouldn't expect your drive-thru server to tell you everything about their job with 10 cars behind you. It just doesn't work that way. It may not look like it, but we are working and it's extremely difficult work. If you have questions, there are plenty of ways to find out everything you want to know when we AREN'T working.

All in all, please just don't be a jerk. We want everybody to have fun and we want to have fun while we work. Just be cool and enjoy the Haunt, okay? HAPPY SPOOPI SEASON!