6 Things You Need To Do As A First-Year Student At Dayton

If you haven't done these yet, get on it!

37

Being a college student is something that so many kids dreams about - especially by the time their senior year hits! There are always many things that you need to keep in mind before you leave home: what clothes you are going to pack, what things you can buy to decorate your new room, what you have to bring for your classes. But it's just as important to think about what fun things you will get to do once you actually make it on to campus! As a first-year student at the University of Dayton, there are certain things you need to do!

1. Go to a basketball game (or all of them).

If you know anything about the University of Dayton, you know that we love our basketball team. From the minute you step foot on campus, you will see “Red Scare” shirts, banners, towels and more. If you’re lucky enough (and early enough), you can make it into the prime seating of the game—the first few rows of the student section.

2. See how many restaurants you can go to on Brown Street.

Brown Street, also known as Erma Bombeck Way, is known for all the amazing restaurants it has to offer. If you ever find yourself getting tired of the dining hall food, going to Brown Street is a must. It has any type of restaurant a starving college student could ask for: Chiptole (Mexican Grill), Cassano’s (Pizza), Fusian (Sushi), and even Butter Café for breakfast and lunch.

3. Wear a jersey on a Saturday afternoon.

The student neighborhood is home to many upperclassmen, many of whom like to party. On Saturday afternoons, you will see hundreds of students walking on the streets of Stonemill, Lowes, Lawnview and more, all while sporting their Dayton apparel. If you don’t own a jersey of any kind, never fear, students are known to have worn anything ranging from funny cat shirts to onesie pajamas that look like minions.

4. Join an intramural sports team.

Dayton is all about “community” as you may have heard once or twice before. Joining an intramural team is a great way for you bring together a close-knit group of friends. It also lets you relieve any stress that you’ve gotten from studying for those classes - yeah, college is about studying too - while hanging out with some friends.

5. Go exercise at the RecPlex (or just grab a smoothie).

The RecPlex is Dayton’s very own gym with everything you could ask for. It has a track, four basketball courts, weights, cardio equipment, oh and did I mention it has an eight-lane pool and a hot tub? The Rec is easily accessible, open from 6 in the morning to midnight most days, and constantly has people in and out- you just have to find the right time to go. Along with this, it has a juice bar called “The Chill,” where you can get drinks after your workout.

6. Take the shuttle to Walmart.

Every Saturday, there is a shuttle that runs on the hour from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. that takes students to Walmart. This is a great way to stock up on all of the foods you miss from home that you can’t get in the dining hall. If you haven’t done this yet, you’re definitely missing out on the opportunity to continuously have a supply of real food in your fridge and freezer!

If you haven’t done all of these yet, no worries! You still have three months to check everything off your first-year student list!