​6 Struggles Type A Personalities Know All Too Well

AlrightLetsGoIDontHaveTimeForThis

212

In personality psychology, individuals may be categorized as type A or type B. There is a wide range in between, but those who are on the extreme sides of the spectrum are easy to spot. Type Bs tend to be more laid back and reserved. Type As tend to be more time conscious, impatient, and driven. They are the ones that turn the test in first and still get the highest grade. Type As constantly pursue perfection and new challenges. Here are some of the struggles type As experience, because of these traits.

1. Driving makes you insane sometimes, especially if you're running late, which... happens a lot.

You don’t drive erratically or in an unsafe manner, but you are completely preoccupied with efficiency. You wish to do things with speed. You frequently say things like, “Wow guys really? Look at the gap.” “Ok let’s gooooo!” “The light is GREEN!” *beep*

You can typically be found in the left lane, if you aren’t there then you are passing cars and trying to get back into it. While in the left lane, when someone flies up in the right you accelerate immediately. That lunatic isn’t actually going to pass you. NO way.

People that drive slowly in the left lane agitate you greatly. You usually pass them quickly to get the message across. Kinda weird how the people we are also tend to be the people we hate. Type B’s don’t deal with this stuff. They just drive in peace… could you imagine that?

2. At work, your need for speed makes it impossible for you to work well with the slower, more methodical employees.

You can’t even look. You want efficiency so bad that their slow pace is hard to watch. If you do watch, you’ll probably tell them to hurry up, which just causes problems. All of this also means that you typically go really fast with routine tasks. Sometimes customers comment on it. Your need for speed loves the repetitive work.

3. You are constantly racing the clock.

It kinda sucks always feeling like you have somewhere to be or something to be doing. If you do nothing for too long you feel guilty or unproductive. You do normal tasks at an absurd rate if you feel any type of pressure to do so, whether stemming from yourself or your environment. Others may think you’re kinda crazy for doing it.

One of mine is going up and down the stairs. I just do it fast because I want to. My dad says it’s like I’m running. I also type really fast and love getting faster. Sometimes racing the clock is fun, because the type A loves challenges. Which leads me to my next point…

4. You can get really competitive.

If you decide that you are uninterested in the activity then this doesn’t apply. However, once any tasks acquires your interest and there is any competition involved, you gotta WIN. You just gotta. You must be the winner. Type As are the athletes, board game players, or workers put in competition with each other, that get completely serious during all the action. They put all of their available effort in by default. This can be scary at times.

5. You are prone to stress and find it hard to relax.

I have had to teach myself how to turn this off. An endless competitive drive can be so tiring and cause unnecessary stress. Type As have to learn to control this among other things if they want to be happy long term.

It has been proven that those who are categorized as type A have higher rates of heart disease. Whether it be work, school, or just life related, many type As struggle with everyday stress. You have deadlines looming over your head, and this causes the clock-racer to freak out sometimes. The endlessly running to do list in your head never stops. You also tend to want everything to be exact and perfect. When something goes wrong you take action on trying to fix it, even when it might not be your responsibility to do so. This puts a lot of pressure on you.

The type A typically anticipates the worst outcome of every situation, so they can be prepared to act if it happens, and this also causes an adequate amount of stress.

6. Differences in work ethic or mindset cause you to occasionally lash out at others.

You are gogogogo. You aim for perfection. When others do not also live up to your expectations, or slow down your own efforts, it can cause frustration. If type As do not watch their tongue, they will undoubtedly make someone mad. Type As need to take the time to stay calm and not think about the running clock or need for perfection in order to avoid conflict. It’s something they must always be aware of.

As a type A myself, I can say that it definitely comes with its share of struggles. However, being a type A has made me able to achieve a lot of my goals. Sometimes the challenge is fun. Sometimes the challenge just wears me down.The key to being a happy, successful type A is knowing balance. You have to able to pause that running clock in your head sometimes. You have to be able to stay calm or slow down when needed, if you want peace. It is all about knowing yourself and what you need at the time.