6 Strategies For Turning Your Workout Resolution Into A Habit

Don't let it fall off the radar like every other resolution.
163

We're about halfway through the month of January, and it seems that the New Year's Resolutions are still going strong. However, it's only a matter of time before people start backing out for whatever reason. The most common Resolution, working out, is actually one of the easiest to keep, in my opinion. You just have to do it the right way. Here are six ways to keep up with working out.

1. Go to a class

Classes are the best ways to workout. Hands down. They're guided; there are trained professionals there to help perfect your technique, and you are held accountable. My favorite class to go to is Pure Barre. It's a ballet/pilates based class that works on toning muscles and is available all across the country.

2. Watch videos

This is second best to going to a class. Videos can be helpful because they are guided and also help with the timing. Another advantage that videos have to classes is that they are fairly cheap, if not free. A one time cost will get you a great workout. My new favorite video series to use is Ballet Beautiful, which works on toning muscles, and is completely free on YouTube.

3. Find a buddy

Having an accountability partner will guarantee that you follow through on your workout schedule. We all have those days where all we want to do is lay in bed and watch Netflix, but having a buddy will keep you motivated on those days, and you will keep them motivated. Pick out a few times during the week where your schedules align and head off to the gym!

4. Make a plan

Do. Not. Just. Show. Up. At. The. Gym. If you do, you won't really accomplish much. You need to go in with a list of things that you are going to do. Planning ahead of time will increase the likelihood of accomplishing the goal. If you say that you are just going to run on the treadmill, what happens when you get bored? Have a plan and a backup plan, just to be on the safe side.

5. Pinterest is your friend

Going along with making plans, if you really don't know what kind of workout is for you, look up some good ones on Pinterest. There's a wide variety, and they will help guide you until you find out what is the best routine for you. Also, broaden your search to the internet in general to do some research on the best exercises for your body type, weight loss goals, etc.

6. Just Do It

This Nike slogan isn't famous for no reason. At the end of the day, as long as you make an effort, that's a win. Just show up, exercise for a little, and go home. It doesn't have to be fancy or intense. Just start somewhere and stick to a regular schedule, and you'll be well on your way of turning this resolution into a habit.