6 Simple Dreams Of a Liberated Man

6 Simple Dreams Of a Liberated Man

There is a beauty in simplicity

6
6 Simple Dreams Of a Liberated Man
Daniel Sullivan

I have never been one to have a grandiose image of what I want my future to be like. I don't want to be a billionaire, I don't want to be a CEO of the world's wealthiest company, and above all, I don't want to be in the spotlight or ever be famous and worshipped like a god. I simply want a future where I am happy, where I have someone to experience the gift of life with, and a life where I am not only independent, but liberated. Some will argue that being independent and liberated are the same thing, but I disagree. A man can be independent and living on his own, but he is he truly free from the personal demons that keep him up at night? A liberated man has his personal demons under control, and he marches to the beat of no drum but his own.

1. A cabin in the woods

Despite being born in NY and on Long Island, I have no aspirations to live in the city. The dream home for me would be a nice little log cabin in serene and wooded area. Perhaps in the mountains of NC, or maybe above the Mason-Dixon line in PA. The cabin would have a nice long driveway, maybe a half mile or so away from the hustle and bustle of the road. The cabin would mainly be heated by a natural fireplace, not gas, as I would take great pleasure in splitting wood to stay warm and physically fit. Until the family comes along, I would enjoy most of my down time sitting by the fire and drinking some ice-cold sweet tea, homemade, of course. Above the fireplace would be a small TV so that I could watch my Chelsea and Golden State Warriors games, and by my side would be a big German Sheppard, a gorgeous Savannah Cat (if I can afford one), and a beautiful, exotic parrot. Friends and family would always be welcome.

2. A career with kids or serving the United States

I have always had a special fondness for working with kids, both young and old. From my time in the Scouts leading young men at Klondike competitions to being around kids on a daily basis during my summers at Camp Rockmont, I have always found great joy in being someone that young people can relate to and who they feel comfortable around. Perhaps a career as a school counselor or social worker is in order, as I would be able to help young people through the struggles of life. Every child and adolescent should know that there is someone out there who genuinely cares about who they are and their overall well-being.

On the other hand, I have always had a great fondness and respect for my country, the United States of America. I would not mind having a career in the Army, working my way up to being a officer who is respected by the men he leads. In my opinion, the most prestigious job of all would be serving as a Secret Service member for the President of the United States. To protect and serve the leader of my country in the most intimate capacity would be a outstanding honor, and one that I would take great pride in. I have always found my awareness of the environment and imminent threats to be a notch above anyone else's, and I feel my abilities would serve my country well. If not a Secret Service member, I would not mind serving in the CIA or NSA. To even serve as a police office would be a great honor and privilege.

3. To be the leader of a men's group

Throughout my life I have been blessed with several mentors and father figures who have taken me under their wing. I did not ask for any of them to help guide me, but they saw something inside of me that was worth guiding, and I will always be forever grateful for their patience and willingness in reaching out to someone who rarely asks for help when he needs it. With that said, I want to be able to give back to those who have invested so much of their time and faith in me, and one way I can do this is by helping other men who are fighting the same personal demons that I am all too familiar with. I'm not sure how I would start this group, but it would basically consist of myself and other men gathering at a meeting place, perhaps my own home or somewhere over a nice meal, and we would spend an hour so simply going around and sharing our stories and the struggles that each of us are dealing with on a daily basis. By communicating and relating to other men, my hope is that the weight of the shame everyone is carrying on their shoulders would gradually be lifted as we bonded and by everyone realizing that they are not alone. We'd share a meal together, maybe have a beer or two, and nobody would left alone in the wake of their mistakes and shortcomings.

4. To be the best man at a friend's wedding

It may not seem like a big deal to some, but I believe there's no greater honor in friendship than to be chosen as the best man for a friend's wedding. I may be the best man for multiple friends, or I may never be a best man at all. I suppose I would just be honored and humbled by serving in a role that is the truest symbol of respect, trust, and loyalty among friends. To serve as someone's right-hand man on the biggest day of there life, well, that'd be the cherry on my cake. I would take great pleasure in making sure that my friend keeps his composure and that everything works out the way he wants it to. I would have quite the smile on my face standing by my friend as his bride walked down the aisle. I would be beyond happy for him.

5. To be a better man than my father

No dream would be more self-fulfilling than being considered by others as a better man than my father. I cannot deny that I am my father's son. No matter what I do, I will always be related to him. My father was not always the way he is now, but my mother married a different man. My father is rude, rash, inconsiderate, disrespectful, selfish, cheap, and has constantly weighed heavily on the shoulders of my mother, sister, myself, and everyone who he has encountered. In short, my father is a burden to those who are involved in his life. My greatest motivation in life is to be as polar opposite as my father as possible. I always do my best to be caring and considerate of others, listen more than I talk, and give more than I take. Some of the most meaningful words that a person could ever say to me is "Daniel, you are nothing like your father." Those 7 simple words mean the world to me, especially when they come from someone who has knows how bad my father can get. I'd rather live a short and beautiful life than live long enough to see myself become a carbon copy of my father.

6. To change someone's life

I dream of one day hearing someone tell me that I changed their life, or that I've had a everlasting impact on them. In the movie "It's a Wonderful Life," James Stewart plays the character George Baily, a businessman who eventually wishes that he had never been born because of an incident that occurred with the family business. George's wish is granted, and Clarence, an angel sent by God to earn his wings, show's George how everyone's life would be different if they had never met him. Much to George's surprise, several of the people who Clarence takes him to see are shown living a vastly different life, and most of the people are not better off. The most emotional part of the movie is when Clarence takes George to the grave of Harry Baily, George's younger brother, who ended up dying because George was not around to save Harry from when he fell through a sheet of ice and into freezing waters when they were kids. In short, I dream of a living life where I have the same type of impact on people that George Baily did. I dream of hearing someone tell me that their life would be completely different if our lives had never crossed paths. The day I hear those words will be the day that I know my life has had meaning.