6 Reasons Why Captain Swan Is The Best Ship On TV

It's not just a fairy tale.

511
Colin O'Donoghue.com

"Once Upon a Time" returned on Sunday, reuniting the fairy tale characters fans have come to know and love over the course of its five previous seasons. As I'm what I would like to call, a "hopeful romantic" (not hopeless), I'm always searching for a love story that's modern, fun, yet intense, and makes two imperfect people see the best in each other despite whatever life throws at them. To be honest the last place I expected to find this was on this show between the two most unlikely candidates. Fairy tale love stories always come across as idealistic and one-dimensional, but the love story of Killian Jones (Captain Hook) and Emma Swan (the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming), better known to Oncers as "Captain Swan," is anything but. Here are a few reasons why Captain Swan is the best "ship" on TV.

1. It's a fairy tale for the modern world.

Most peoples' first memories of stories are of fairy tales, where the prince and the princess meet and seemingly fall in love at first sight. Aside from an evil villain or a monster of some kind, there are few personal obstacles in the way of the relationship. It's safe to say the relationship between Killian and Emma was NOT love at first sight (she held a knife to his throat, in fact), and their love story has been nearly four seasons in the making. While it's had those fairy tale moments (see the season 3 finale), relationship issues such as vulnerability, trust, and secrets have been explored, making Captain Hook and the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming a lot more than cardboard characters. They're a modern couple dealing with the struggles of navigating a relationship where both people have extensive emotional baggage.

2. They'd go to the end of the world (or time) for each other.

In a way, it's what everyone would want out of their partner, someone who would do anything just to be near them. Killian said seasons ago that he'd go the end of the world or time for Emma (and he had because of a time travel through a portal...long story), but he wasn't sure if she would for him. It took her a little more time, but she proved in the fifth season that she would go as far as the Underworld to have him back. This isn't even counting the numerous curses and meddling of villains that have forced them apart. Talk about an epic love story...not even death can separate these two.

3. It's Snow White and Prince Charming's story...flipped on its head.

The "Once" fandom has been quick to show the various parallels that the show has made between Snowing (Charming and Snow) and Captain Swan. Neither first meeting was exactly hearts and flowers, and it took a while for both couples to accept their feelings for one another. Also, there's the "I will find you. I will always find you" phrase that seems to be the Charming family motto. However, whereas Snow and Charming are the couple on the show who are almost sickly sweet (in the nicest way possible), Killian and Emma have that edge and modernity discussed in point #1. Plus, there's been a lot more angst with these two. And there's a lot more sass flying between the two of them.

4. They're totally not perfect...and it's great.

Let's face it; we all grew up with Captain Hook as a villain (and certainly not as attractive). Killian also first appeared that way to fans. However, as his backstory has been revealed, his triumphs and trials have been revealed, including being enslaved as a child and the loss of most of his family early in life, then his days has a ruthless pirate captain. However, Killian has carried all of that with him, including loads of self-loathing. It's an issue he is still dealing with and likely will for the duration of the show.

Emma has also had her struggles. She was raised in the foster care system before turning to a troubled life of thievery which included a teenage pregnancy. After a short stint in prison, during which she gave up her baby for adoption, she started her life fresh as bail bondsperson.

It's safe to say neither of them has had it easy, and they love each other for it.

5. Their relationship has allowed both of them to change for the better.

Emma had her walls up from the beginning of the show, relying only on herself. She didn't want to need anyone and spent most of her time pushing anyone away. Killian was absorbed by the desire for revenge, protecting himself by hiding behind charming innuendos and faux confidence. Being together has allowed both of them to trust again, putting their faith in someone else and opening both of their hearts to love again. They've taken their time, but it's made them better people, both as individuals and as a couple. Emma's walls have come down, and Killian realized his happy ending is Emma.

6. Colin and Jen are AMAZING!

Let's face it, these two characters would be nothing without their actors. Both of them have expressed how much they enjoy working together, and it really is reflected in the chemistry between Killian They put their all into the characters, creating scenes that can be as fun and sweet as they can be heart-wrenching and intense. Besides that, they also love the ship as much as the fans do. So, I want to give a shout-out to Colin O'Donoghue and Jennifer Morrison for being the awesome, talented captains of the best ship on TV!