6 Nutrition Myths You Can Totally Ignore

Are Instagram and Pinterest leading you astray?

18
Flickr

1. Avoid certain fruits

Excuse me, what? What? Yes, some fruits are higher in carbohydrates and therefore they are higher in calories. Bananas, for example, have been highly stigmatized as of late. And while it probably isn't a good idea to eat an excessive amount of bananas in a day (although its not a good idea to eat an excessive amount of any one food in a day), out of all the foods that we have to choose from in a day, all of the fried, processed, unnatural options that we come across daily, I really do not think a banana is the worst of your worries.

Even though bananas are high in carbohydrates, they are complex, starchy carbohydrates rather than simple, refined sugar carbohydrates. As well, they are full of other nutrients such as vitamin B, manganese, vitamin C, potassium, iron and dietary fiber. So, while a banana may be around 110 calories, I can guarantee that 110 calories of banana is going to be so much better for you than junk food, even if it has less calories. And this goes for practically any type of fruit, regardless of what Pinterest graphics have been telling you.

2. Fat-Free is the way to go

The problem with fat-free products is that the fat being taken out has to be replaced with something. And usually, naturally occurring fats are going to be the lesser of the two evils. When food makers produce fat-free items, they tend to make up for the loss of fat by adding in other ingredients to make up for the taste and texture. This can include sugar, flour, thickeners, and salt. If you look at the nutrition label of a fat-free food versus it's "regular" version, you will always find that the fat-free version has more sugar, and sometimes more calories. Instead of opting for the falsely "healthier" options, just reach for food that is naturally lower in fat, like leaner meats. Or, better yet, go for good fats (monounsaturated or polyunsaturated), such as those found in fatty fish and almonds.

3. Drink "Skinny Teas"

This doesn't only apply to skinny teas, but also all of the other quick-acting, fast "detox" products you see promoted on Instagram. Simply put, they are all just an idiotic way to spend your money. Nutrition and good health are not the result of any one product. Nutrition and good health are a result of long-term choices that you make every single day.

Drinking some "magical" tea is not going to make you lose weight or become healthy. In fact, some studies are showing that these products could actually be detrimental to your health. This is because most of these products are actually laxatives, forcing someone who uses them to lose weight short term via a colon cleanse. Unfortunately, this also leads to the loss of electrolytes and fluids. So while the scale may read a few pounds lighter, you're probably going to feel lethargic, your skin will lose it's glow, you'll be dehydrated, and long-term, there will be serious health complications to deal with.

4. Always Choose Salad

A big misconception about eating healthily is that you should, or even have to, always order a salad when you go out to eat. But in fact, sometimes salads are the least healthy thing on the menu. They sometimes have not only the most calories, but the most unhealthy fats and the highest sodium. This is because most restaurants think that to make up for the vegetables, they have to pack on the dressing, croutons, fried chicken, cheese, bacon bits and so on.

For example, Red Robin's Crispy Chicken Tender Salad has 1,348 calories, 92 grams of fat, and 2325 mg of sodium. In comparison, a McDonalds' Big Mac (often heralded as one of the most unhealthy options available), has 540 calories, 28 grams of fat, and 970 mg of sodium. And trust me, Red Robin is not the only restaurant guilty of this. Some other places with horrific salads includes O'Charleys, TGI Friday, Cheesecake Factory, Ruby Tuesdays and many others.

5. Protein is Most Important

Actually, our bodies need all of the three main macronutrients available to perform effectively. This does include protein, but also carbohydrates and fat. When you avoid anything but protein, you deprive yourself of things like fiber, which comes with fruits and vegetables (all of which are primarily carbohydrates). Without carbohydrates, you will lack energy, because your body looks to glucose first for fuel.

Carbohydrates also help you digest food, aid in calcium absorption, regulate blood pressure, and much more. So clearly, cutting them out isn't going to do much in way of helping you. And fats store energy, insulate our bodies, and protect our vital organs. Fats are necessary for proteins to be able to do their jobs. And they also help start some of the most necessary chemical reactions that our bodies perform every single day.

6. No "Bad" Foods

If you don't want to eat something, then don't. But, if you're craving pizza, cake, or other "bad" foods, then allow yourself to indulge, in moderation. When you don't acknowledge your craving and deny yourself that one cupcake that just seems to be calling your name, you're probably going to end up eventually giving in, but you'll be more likely to eat two or three cupcakes when you finally cave. Severe restriction, especially against your own cravings, has been shown to lead to binge behaviors. The biggest key to nutrition is balance. I cannot stress enough how important moderation over deprivation is. Or how going about your day with a general mindfulness about your health is. Don't label things black and white, "bad" and "good." It's just a really negative and unhealthy way to think about nutrition, and in the end, your body will pay for it rather than reap any kind of benefit.