6 Dance Moves for the "Bleacher Lovers"

6 Dance Moves for the "Bleacher Lovers"

Kid, get up and dance

95
6 Dance Moves for the "Bleacher Lovers"

Since way before Molly Ringwald was sitting on the bleachers waiting it out for Jake Ryan, girls and boys alike suffered through school dance after school dance. Whether looking on at the 'cool kid' circles, trying not to spill anything on that horrid ensemble you matched together to look like Gabriella Montez, becoming way too intrigued by the bathroom lighting on your Razor flip phone, or just thinking you were too cool to shred it up on the dance floor, you miss out when you sit out.

Well, unfortunately (yes I'm sure you're so disappointed) there comes a time when school dances don't happen twice a year. Surprise! College! Once a week if you want (or more, geez, sorry). There are way more chances to get out there and dance like, well, I don't know, I'd have to see for myself.

Yeah, OK, this has been pretty straight up, you probably could've walked in 7/9 freshmen girl dorm rooms to read that one-liner 'dance like nobody's watching.' But we aren't talking about dancing, really. What I mean, because I have to make it clear for the people that are now just thinking about how embarrassing some junior high, prom, or homecoming was (still can't believe that dress), is you just have to put yourself out there. Seriously, who cares if your fly's down the whole time, at least you got up there and gave the presentation per the darn syllabus.

Who cares if you wear Crocs to class; I bet Billy Bob the Sigma Chi has sweaty feet right now. Who seriously cares if you're a bad dancer; I hesitate to say that you're better than them anyways because at least you're on your feet. On your own. Not leaning on the wall of liquor store cardboard. Oh, to be in junior high again...

OK, so let's do it, I mean, just get out there and do your thing regardless of whatever made the bleachers so comfortable and safe. And so, in lieu of telling you to try new things and stop watching life jam on without you, I am going to give you a fast track to the center of the hype circle, or whatever suits your spotlight.

Disclosure: I have two levels of dancing: mom dancing/Just Dance-level robotic-ism and copy-catting, or Bieber's 'Sorry' video clashed with the amount of excitement that comes with the song 'Soldier Boy' at, well, any age or occasion. AKA, my advice should be taken really really lightly. But anyway, here's what the 'cool' kids are doing these days:

"The Whip"

Use: Suitable for a hard beat 'drop' in a song. Also used in repetition for entire songs. Can be held or modified to mimic driving a car or cooking pancakes.

"The Nae Nae"

Use: To follow the whip or to be used as a routine wave in everyday life. A modern jazz hand (only one) with added height. Also coupled with a unique facial expression of concentration and carelessness. Done with a few steps backward as other hand appears to be wiping a table.

"The Dab"

Use: Beware of overuse. Good touchdown celebration for the athletically inclined. Can be a build up or a rapid motion. Beware of the neck jolt in rapid and repeated dabbing. Very good for beat drops or for times of extreme excitement. Actually the worst.

"The Dougie"

Use: A classic throwback. Shows your own style and skill. Can actually only be done to the song 'Teach Me How to Dougie.' Evidently, once you learn you use the song to teach others to Dougie only to that song and no other?

"The Worm"

Use: An absolute hit. Very valuable talent. Unique skill though pride only comes when someone asks, "Can anyone do the worm?" Need lots of space. Not ideal.

"The Twerk"

Use: Abominable to those reading this that have never heard of any of these moves yet. A very interesting YouTube tutorial that has not succeeded yet in my case. Looks very interesting when attempting incorrectly. Very strange on walls; looks like a Cross Fit move. Going out of style along with the old, old, old Miley.

I wish you success in the execution of these sick moves. In the meantime, don't be afraid to get out there and dance, mess up, be embarrassing, fail, try again, redo it, go out, get up.