6 Lessons For My Future Daughter

6 Lessons For My Future Daughter

Lessons for all women to remember in this ever changing world

17
6 Lessons For My Future Daughter

This past week have been very exciting. Our 45th President Donald Trump was just inaugurated which is a very terrifying thought for so many people. We have also had countless Women's Marches around the world as people made a decision to stand up for what they felt was important in an effort to get their voices heard. Thinking about all the changes happening in the world and how they effect women got me thinking about the world future women would grow up in. I don't have any children, but I would like to have some in the distant future and if that child happens to be a daughter there are a few very important lessons that I feel she should always know- some important lessons that I feel all women, no matter their age, should always know.

1. You can do and be anything you want.

Sure, being a woman can make getting the job, the promotion, or the raise you want a little more difficult than it would be for men in some cases. We all know that gender stereotypes don't tend to swing in the favor of women, but that is no reason to limit yourself. Never be afraid to shoot for the stars, to set ridiculously high goals, and to have dreams that seem impossible. You can do whatever it is that you want to do as long as you have the drive and are willing to put in the extra work to see it through. You may hear that it's a "man's world", but that is not the case. It is just as much your world as it is theirs.

2. You own your body. No one else.

I want you to understand that your body is just that. Yours! You are the only person who gets a say over it. I will never tell you what you can and can't do with it. I may voice my opinion, but once again it belongs to you. I want you to understand that your choice to be sexually active or to never be sexually active is one that only you can make and says nothing about who you are as a person. It is not a reflection of your character or your value. When you choose to loose your virginity, you will not be giving away a piece of yourself to anyone. You are not a puzzle that can be separated and divided up among partners until you are only left with a fraction of the beauty image you once were. You are a completely whole human being all by yourself, and no one decision can change that value. I want you to know that, because it is your body, you have the right to say yes, to say no, and to completely change your mind about any of these choices with no need to explain yourself. Know yourself and speak for yourself my dear.

3. Love yourself above anyone else.

You will meet many people in your lifetime. You will have many partners and countless friends. Some of these people will become a permanent part of your life, and some of them will only be there for few chapters which is completely okay. They will teach you countless lessons, and you will learn so much about love from them, but before you begin to love anyone the first person you should always love is yourself. You are the one person that you are required to spend the rest of your life with. Make sure that life is one full of love- the kind of love that only comes from within. Learn to love your little quirks because they are unique to you, and they are part of what makes you special. Learn to love your body because you only have one, and, even though it may not be perfect, it is amazing, strong, and beautiful. No matter what the rest of society says, I want you to see yourself through eyes unaffected by societal norms. Always be confident in the ever changing person you are. Love your personality, love your body, love yourself first and foremost.

4. Stand up for what you believe in and let no one silence you.

You are a strong, intelligent, independent woman. You are completely capable of forming your own opinions and making your own decisions for the most part. That is one of the perks of living in the land of the free. Realize that not everyone is so lucky. There are more people than you can count that aren't lucky enough too speak for themselves. While you're busy finding yourself, make sure you take time to find your passion. Whatever this passion is, speak up and share it. Speak up for those who are less fortunate, who have no say, and who can not do so themselves. You have a voice that is powerful and meaningful. You may think that just because you are one person you don't have the power to make a difference but one person can change the lives of so many people. I'm not saying I expect you to change the world but as my daughter I expect you to try to make a difference in the world around you because that is your responsibility as a human.

5. You are and always will be enough.

You will have people who don't leave the most positive impact in your life. They might make you question who you are. They may make you feel like you have made mistakes for just being yourself. There will be times where you blame yourself for things that aren't your fault, and I want you to know that you are enough. You have always been and will always be enough. You may be so much that you may be too much for some people to handle. They may not be able to handle your fiery spirit or your sharp tongue. They may have never met a woman like you, and they may not be strong enough to handle you, but remember that it's because you were more than they could stomach- not too little to fulfill their desires.

6. Never let anyone else define you.

Not everyone will understand everything about you. You will confuse people, you will be misunderstood and, because of this, people will try to put a label on you. They will try to place you in neat little boxes that make sense to them and that are simple enough to wrap their small minds around. That is okay because that is on them; it has nothing to do with you. You are limitless, and you are only defined by the person you choose to be. Never let any other person try to tell you who you are and who you aught to be. They have no say. Never listen to the opinions of the people who put in limited amount of effort to get to know you. Be a person you can wake up every morning and be proud of. That is the only job you have in the world. Be yourself.