6 Ingenious Methods To Beat the Summer Heat

You'll never sweat again.

25

This summer is hot, which means walking outdoors is awful. You get hot, you get sweaty, you get tired and you get angry, because no one likes being hot, sweaty and tired. As I began sweating on my walk to work, I wondered how people could ever live in a time without air conditioning, and made a mental note to be thankful for whoever invented it. More importantly, however, I began brainstorming ideas to keep myself cool while traveling this summer. Here are my ideas which made the cut.

1. Car

A car is a useful tool to avoid the summer heat. For one, it has air conditioning, and also provides shade. This is the best method for traveling long distances (over half a mile), as you can ride in any temperature from 60°F to 90°F, at least in mine. But, there are some issues with using a car to avoid heat. For one, cars are expensive, and not everyone has one. Depending on where you live, you may also have to pay for parking. If you park outside, your car will sit in the sun, and become only a few degrees cooler than said sun. This means boiling your blood for the first three minutes of your drive.

2. Disney fan

I’m guessing Disney didn’t actually invent these, but they have to be the most popular version. Made of a spray bottle and a fan, this misting fan is certainly worth more than the sum of its' parts. The fan allows you to spray mist all over you, and whoever else is near you at the time, with water that is usually days old. These are super portable too, as the attached necklace allows you to carry this bad boy anywhere. Pro tip: add cold water to the bottle for an extra cooling boost.

3. Chill Pal Ultimate Cooling Towel

I once saw an infomercial for these, and laughed at them. There is no way you can just snap a wet towel and it will be magically cold. But judging by the 4.6 star average amazon review from over 1000 reviews, I think these things might work. These things are also very stylish. Above is a picture of a lady demonstrating how to wear it.

4. Lawn mower attire

Lawn mowers spend a lot of time out in the sun, so it’s safe to assume they know how to dress in order to stay cool. Most of the lawn mowers I see are wearing jumpsuits with large sun blocking hats. Usually people try and wear as little clothes in heat, but due to reverse psychology magic apparently covering every portion of your skin makes you cooler. If you are in a pinch and don’t have a jumpsuit, long sleeves and pants will make due.

6. Electric scooter

Wind makes us feel cooler so the faster you move, the cooler you’ll feel. You could get a motorcycle, moped or convertible in order to do this, but all of these options cost a considerable amount of money. But, nearly everyone has an old Razor electric scooter sitting at home that will allow them to travel around at high-ish speeds without exerting any energy. They also make some with a seat, so you can save your legs for more useful activities. Plus, I am assuming that the kid with the electric scooter will still be the most popular on the block.

6. Just don’t leave your house.

Far and away the best way to beat the heat is to never experience it. This is done by never going outside, unless it’s sufficiently cool, like at night. You can just look outside from your air conditioned abode and appreciate the heat, and then return to doing whatever it is you do indoors.