6 Important Lessons I've Learned From The Theatre

Whether you're on or off stage, these are wise words to live by everyday.

191
Hannah Love

The theatre world is a crazy one; I will be perfectly honest with you. It is a roller coaster consisting of highs, lows, upside downs, moments in darkness, and basically anything that can jump out at you. I love it more than anything, and the lessons I have learned while pursuing my dream as a performer have been some of the most important; here is a few that I've kept close to me.

1. Blood, sweat, and tears is not just a figure of speech.

(This photo was taken after our last show with the seniors last year, and I broke down and cried my eyes out. Whoops lol)

Yes, it does not apply to sports alone. I am actually known in my high school theatre troupe to have multiple bleeding crises each production (the stage managers know). There are injuries. We work our butts off to put on an amazing show, and that leads to lot of deodorant (hopefully) used to help with all the sweat stains. Tears are shed multiple times; these performances become a part of us. First rehearsal, last rehearsal, opening night, closing night, and everything else in between mean more than words can convey. We cherish every moment, and nothing should ever be taken for granted.

2. Vulnerability is not a weakness.

People fear putting themselves out in the open for the world to see. They don’t want to get their heart broken or to appear as a failure, but as a performer, vulnerability is one of the greatest gifts in the world. We recognize that we will mess up, but the only way to truly give everything you have onto the stage and as a person is to let everything loose. Be an open book for the world, and amazing things can happen. Yes, it is scary but you never know what could happen unless you try.

Don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself time to time.

3. You are not a one man show.

Even if you are performing a one man show, who helps with lights or sound when you are onstage? Teamwork is key to success. Relying on yourself can assure you that what you need done will be complete, but having friends and family there with you makes everything feel easier and more rewarding. As a troupe, the production would not be successful without the performers, the technicians, the directors, choreographers, and many others. You can’t expect to walk through life and achieve everything singlehandedly.

4. Humility is more important than skill.

You could be the most amazing dancer or the best at comedic timing, but what should that matter if you are an awful human being? Talent may get you far in life, but if you cannot work well with other actors or directors, then people will eventually stop hiring you. No one likes a rude, selfish coworker, and that doesn’t apply only to the entertainment industry. If you go in for an interview and have no manners, the boss will not consider you first for the job no matter how much experience you have under your belt. Even with friends, no one wants to be a pal with someone who cares only about themself. Be thankful for every opportunity you receive and make it known to others around you. There are people out there who probably deserved the job more than you, but you were blessed with the chance. Don’t take it for granted or anything else for granted for that matter.

5. Anyone can accomplish anything at any age.

There are performers that may have received their first Tony nomination in their 60s, or they may have been granted this amazing honor as a young child (Sydney Lucas from Fun Home). Dreams are not limited to a certain age group, and you should never let your age stop you from anything. Dreaming makes us better and more driven, so who says you have to ever stop dreaming or trying to accomplish your goals?

6. Love is love is love...

The theatre community is very open and loving, The LGBTQ community is very much included into our world, and the arts industry for the most part believes that no one should be discriminated against based on their gender, sexuality, race, beliefs, etc. Everyone should be loved, and the theatre community is such a true representative of this statement. There is nothing that makes me more thankful to be a part of the theatre world than the fact that we have some of the most welcoming and loving people within our family.

I love the theatre community with my heart and soul, and I am blessed to be able to say that I get to perform everyday and say, "I do musical theatre." Meeting new thespians is a wonderful experience, and the people I've met over the past several years have impacted my life. I know people that have not fully learned from these lessons even at an older age, so it is amazing to look back and see how much I've learned from the amazing arts as a 16 year old.