6 Healthy Food Items For Boosting Your Metabolism

What do I eat?

15
Health is Wealth of Heart

As shocking as it may seem, what you put into your mouth plays a bigger role than working out does when it comes to losing weight/getting in shape. Now don’t get me wrong, conditioning your body is a major factor in toning your body and dropping the extra pounds, but it will only get you so far. In order to truly see those desirable effects, you must supply your body with the proper nutrients. I am a firm believer in the 80/20 rule. For those who are unaware of what this “rule” consists of, it basically serves as a lifestyle reminder. Some may call it a diet change, but it serves as a more purposeful lifestyle advancement. Basically, 80% of the meals/foods you eat each week should be healthy and the other 20% can be those irresistible cheat meals. It also functions as a reminder that working out only accounts for 20% of your body change. If you genuinely want those desirable results, you must pay close attention to what you put in your body. For food lovers like me, this was not an easy thing to fathom, but once you get used to eating healthy, you may eventually find yourself losing the constant cravings for a greasy pizza. And if you still catch yourself dreaming about the fattening foods, stay motivated by telling yourself that abs are NOT made in the gym….they are made in the kitchen.

So... If I can’t have my favorite sugary cereal for breakfast or calorie-loaded sandwich for lunch, what can I eat?

1. Fruits

An apple, banana, sliced strawberries, a bowl of blueberries, etc. Fruits are best to eat in the morning/ early afternoon since they contain a large amount of sugar. Although it is natural sugar, it is best to utilize them during the earlier hours of the day. My personal favorite fruit (and one that assists in fat burning) is a juicy grapefruit.

2. Eat your meats

In order to really get those muscles poppin’, you must feed your body protein. My favorite lunch and dinner meats include; grilled chicken, tuna fish, and slices of turkey meat.

3. Quest Protein Bars

These are the only protein bars I eat. Although I try to avoid processed foods when i’m eating healthy, these are one of my few exceptions. I tend to eat Quest Bars for lunch with either a grapefruit or apple on the side. I highly recommend the Oreo, chocolate chip cookie dough, and s’mores flavors. They will keep you full and satisfy your sweet tooth.

4. Vegetables

Carrots, zucchini, broccoli, bok choy, etc. Vegetables are a huge part of my diet. I eat them for a healthy snack and include them in my dinner every night. Pro-tip: add a little bit of olive oil to your brussels sprouts and kale then toss them in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Once you try this yummy dish, you will find yourself craving those healthy veggies.

5. Additional meal ideas/satisfying snacks

Oatmeal, egg whites, black coffee (to keep you going), green tea, plain greek yogurt, cashews, almonds, beef jerky, halo ice cream (to satisfy your sweet tooth) and cottage cheese are at the top of the metabolism boosting list.

6. Smoothies

Some people view smoothies as unhealthy due to the immense amount of sugar in many of the pre-made blends; however, making them on your own or discovering the tricks to ordering will turn you into a smoothie expert. First off, if you order a nice pre/post workout smoothie, go for a simple chocolate or vanilla then stick to less than four add-ins. Whether you pick all fruits, greens or peanut butter, try not to go calorie overboard by adding a bunch of different things to your healthy meal replacement. Pro-tip: ask for the turbinado to be removed from your drink. Turbinado is the sugar from evaporated cane juice. It really does not change the taste, but cutting out unnecessary sugar will do nothing but good for your body. Also, if you are looking for a good at-home smoothie mix, I highly recommend Herbalife.