6 Amazing NYC Restaurants That Are Open 24/7

Take it from me, I have lived here all of my life.

42

Many SLC students find themselves in New York City for at least a few nights out of the year. In New York, there are hundreds of dining options and there's definitely something for everyone. The question is, how many places will be open towards the end of the night and into the wee hours of the morning to satisfy that post party/exploring/appreciating/getting lost craving? In this article you will find six of my favorite 24/7 restaurants all over the city for when you need a quick bite before you hop back on Metro-North (or Uber if you are super fancy).

1. Scotty's Diner

Location: 336 Lexington Ave, b/t 39th St & 40th St (mid-town)

Price: Cheap, the pictured meal (two eggs with toast and potatoes) is just under $6 and the most expensive thing on the menu is just under $17 (Fettuccine with jumbo shrimp).

Scotty's Diner is near Grand Central station and can be your first (or last) stop of the night after arriving in the city via Metro North. Scotty's food is pretty good, but it can get quite crowded and the space is small.

2. Gracie's Corner Diner

Location: 352 E 86th St, b/t 1st Ave & 2nd Ave (upper east side)

Price: Moderate. Meals range from $10-$20.

Gracie's Corner Diner is a great stop after a late night at the Met, and it's just about seven blocks away. It's open 24 hours and it has your every day selection of classic diner foods. There is nothing remarkable about this one but it is a great bite and is not usually crowded. The area it is in does not have many people eating in the late hours of the night. I have been here more than a few times and have not been disappointed.

3. Tom's Restaurant

Location: 2880 Broadway, b/t 112th St & 111th St (upper west side)

Price: Moderate. Meals range from $11-$30.

Do you recognize that picture? If you watch Seinfeld then you most certainly should. What you unfortunately won't recognize is the inside of the restaurant because it is drastically different from what they show on television. The inside of Tom's on t.v. is actually a set all the way in L.A, but I'm sure all of you Seinfeld buffs know that already. Tom's diner is a great all night eatery with decent food that is just a few blocks away from Columbia University. Also, if you are there late at night there is a really pretty walk you can do around the campus through a path of lighted trees. One of my favorites on this list.

4. Veselka

Location: 144 2nd Ave, b/t St Marks Pl & 9th St (East Village)
Price: a little pricey, between $11 and $14 per person on average.
Have you ever found yourself feeling adventurous down in the East Village way after the sun has gone down? Well, then Veselka is the place for you. Veselka is an all day/night eatery that serves Ukranian food. In my experience the food has been great and I recommend their pierogis and their borscht. During the day, Veselka has many older people in it but during the night, it is full of people between 19 and 25 years old. It is a great atmosphere at night even if it is sometimes hard to get a table.
5. Tick Tock Diner
Location: 481 8th Ave, b/t 34th St & 35th St (near Times Square/ Penn Station)
Price: A bit pricey given the area that it is in, $11-$30
About once a month for various reasons, I find myself down in what I like to call
"Hell on Earth," or what is commonly known as the Times Square/Penn Station area. I have been there at all times of the day, and one of the more redeemable aspects of that crowded sweat depository is the Tick Tock diner nearby (just a couple blocks from Penn Station). Now I know these are a chain but it is worth mentioning how amazing the service is despite it being in one of the busiest places in the city and being open 24/7. The waiters and waitresses are effusively nice and the food is amazing. They do not try to rush you out to make room for more customers as is very common in some restaurants nearby. The food is great and I recommend any of the burgers as well as the all day/night breakfast options.
6. The Famous Cozy's Soup 'n' Burger

Location: 739 Broadway, b/t Astor Place & Waverly Place (Near NYU)

Prices: A bit expensive with most burgers starting at $8, but overall fair pricing.

One of my most frequented destinations for night time activities has been the area around NYU/Washington Square park. There are a litany of fun things to do down there and my suitemates and I have developed a ritual that starts around St. Marks place and unshakably ends at Cozy's Soup 'n' Burger. Large portions and understanding waiters are the hallmarks of this place. They offer all the main things an all day/night diner might and they are unfazed by young people in all states entering their establishment at all hours of the night/morning. The burgers are great and as the title might suggest so are the soups—the split pea soup being one of my favorites. This is a welcoming restaurant and it is a must if you are down in that area and craving something warm and filling to eat.